Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with Sick Working Dog Boxer - Anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Sick Working Dog Boxer - Anyone have one?

Hi All - I've got a Working Dog Boxer (6V6 version) - have to admit that I've never really been happy with it and, over time, have had a couple of things done to it - added a cut control to tame the high end (there's a lot of it), got rid of the creamy/jangly switch, few other small things. Anyway, somewhere along the line, before I knew enough to just do it myself, a tech tweaked the phase inverter resistors - no idea what they were originally - anyone got one that they can check? - might try to put it back to stock.

In all honesty, the amp has been mostly sitting around for a couple of years because it's amazingly noisy (I could hear at least two different hums and a lot of hiss) and rarely gets played - have recently decided to try to do something about it and have been looking under the hood.

There are some things that surprised me - mains ground and heater CT are tied together on a transformer lug - everything else, including the first filter cap, is connected to one ground point by a bus wire, heater wires are barely twisted - there was no grid stopper resistor on the input - added one at 33K and it got rid of one of the hums (at high volume it cancelled out the other hum leaving just hiss), so that was a step in the right direction - now I'm left with a hum that increases with volume - sounds like mains hum, kinda raspy - seems to be distorting as amp gain increases. BTW, this thing has 5 - 47uF filters and a choke.

Going to reground it (separate ground for the mains, first filter separated from the rest, preamp to its own ground on its side of the amp, rewire the heaters - maybe elevate the heater CT ground, check for bad caps....anyone ever poked around in one of these? Any similar experience?

AJ2000

Those amps are very similiar to blackface Fenders, so you might try getting a Deluxe Reverb and pro Reverb schematic and compare them, should be easy to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
      Those amps are very similiar to blackface Fenders, so you might try getting a Deluxe Reverb and pro Reverb schematic and compare them, should be easy to figure out.
      Hi - Thanks - I get the amp - it's typical fender topology with a britishy TMB tonestack, no negative feedback, and a class A power section. Very little clean headroom - kind of like a 5E3 - almost immediate breakup. I think the original PI was more on the vox side, but I'm not sure - would be interested to know what it was originally.

This amp is just so amazingly hummy and hissy - I think it has to be a grounding problem and there are definitely some parasitics - never seen another one of these around so I can't compare if it's typical of the model or if I just ended up with a dog (no pun intended). Rewiring the grounds - sounds like a fun weekend project!

AJ2000

Comment

Quick Update - moving the grounds around didn't do anything noticeable - moved the ground from the first filter cap to the PT ground (removed from star ground point) - added a new ground for the mains to separate it from the PT ground. Input section has it's own ground at its side of the amp. Tried elevating the ground for the heaters, but that didn't do anything - put it back. Touched up all solder joints as well.

It sounds like that little hum that the PT makes from just being on is being amplified throughout the amp. This one's kind of a mystery - stops making noise when I pull the PI tube. Sometimes. Other times, it stops when I pull the preamp tube. Tried all new tubes throughout.....

Despite my lack of love for this amp (it has the worst reverb I've ever heard and the clean sound is underwhelming) it kills when cranked up a bit and it is really light, so it's convenient for taking it out - I would like to keep using it - it's just so damn noisy - as a reference: it doesn't really matter if I turn down the guitar's volume knob to deal with single coil hum when not playing - it's about that noisy.

AJ2000

Comment

Working...
        X