Strange Buzzing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Buzzing problem

My amp is a 1980 Fender 75 ,and whenever i turn it on, it makes a loud buzzing sound. The buzz is also very random. I could turn it on and it will start buzzing immediately, or i could be playing for five minutes and then it will start buzzing. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it and how i can fix it? Please

is buzz present with volume turned down....guitar unplugged? Try balling up your fist & banging the amp hard on the top....does buzz change? If so you're probably looking at a bad connection in the amp somewhere. glen

Comment

I agree, if banging the top of the amp either makes the hum stop or makes the hum start - of it affects the hum at all - there is a loose connection. Most likely one or more of the main filter caps needing resoldering.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There's also the step of checking that all the jacks are tight - especially the input jack. Some models rely on that connection for ground.

R.G.Keen has this great tube amp debug page - and a lot of the diagnostic steps apply to solid state, too.

Hope this helps!

Comment

well i dont know if i described the sound right. Its more of a loud fluttery BRRRRRRRR!, but my dad said cone isn't busted. I also hit the top of the amp just to check and it didn't affect BRRRRRRRR sound.

Comment

Working...
          X