Kustom 2x10 Amp Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom 2x10 Amp Issue

Maybe someone here can help me with this. I have an old Kustom 2x10 combo amp (model 150 I believe) that has a burnt resistor (R1 or R2 I don't remember at the moment). The fuse was blown as well. I replaced the resistor and the fuse does not blow but the amp just makes a hum sound. I attached the schematic (PC5032) that has R1 & R2 on it. Anybody have any experience with these? I looked through some older posts but could not find any info on this issue. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kustom pcb.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	867096

Originally posted by Billy Penn View Post
    I replaced the resistor and the fuse does not blow but the amp just makes a hum sound.
    The hum you hear is probably dc on the speakers. Disconnect the speakers until you check this out or you risk permanent damage to them.

Take a reading with a voltmeter across the output and see if there is a dc voltage there. If there is, check the output and driver transistors for shorts.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will check this out asap. I was thinking it was Q18 or Q19 or both gone bad and that's what made R1 or R2 burn up and then blow the fuse. Does that seem logical?

Comment

ACtually no. The R numbers are important, so it is better not to state one rather than guess. R1 and R2 are at the input, and I had a very hard time imagining how anything could burn them up. Q18,19 could well be the issue, but they have no relationship at all to R1,R2. If we knew the actual R number that was replaced it might help.

R26 R28 or even R22, R24 seem more likely to burn then.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I stated the wrong resistor number. The issue is that I have the schematic for PC5032 and the amp has a PC5032 Rev 1. It is close however. The resistor that burned is not on the schematic and is directly after R31(100k). Anyone have a PC5032 Rev 1 schematic?

Comment

Working...
          X