Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Special 130 problem.. light is on but no sound....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Special 130 problem.. light is on but no sound....

Hi, I have had this amp for many years and the speaker cone was bad when I got it. It worked fine anytime I ever turned it on except for the blown speaker. Now I am wanting to use it and I just put a new speaker cone in it and when I turned it on, the red light comes on, but otherwise it is as dead as a hammer. I am no electronics wiz and I have no idea where to begin so any help would be appreciated. I may just need to take it to a repairman if it is going to involve breaking it all down. So what I am asking is; is there any possibility this could be something simple? I changed the cone and put everything back like it was. This amp always worked great, but it has been sitting up for about 15 years. I'm sure I should have, but I did not try it right before I changed the speaker. Thanks!!

Do you have access to an ohm meter?
    Check the voice coil resistance of the speaker.
    It may be open circuit.

Comment

And ther is also the plug and wires from the speaker up to the amp chassis.

Pull the speaker plug out of the jack, and touch a 9-volt battery terminal to the plug tip. Maintain contact with the tip while you lower the shaft of the plug to touch the other batery terminal. A working speaker will thump or pop each time you touch.

Other than that, plug the amp into some other speaker cab. Do you hear a thump each time the power is turned on?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to borrow one tomorrow and try this if nothing else worked, but check my reply to the next suggestion. Thanks!!

Comment

Well, I get the Darwin Award for today. when I went to try your suggestion, I noticed that the speaker wasn't even plugged in. :-O Then it all came back to me. I used this amp with my Marshall cabinet a few years ago and didn't plug the speaker back in since it didn't work. It works perfect now. What a screaming little amp! I love this thing!!
          Thanks for all your help everybody. I really appreciate the wake up call, even though I feel like an idiot to admit what the real problem was...me...

Comment

Working...
          X