Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying tube/socket wiring in a homebrew amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying tube/socket wiring in a homebrew amp.

A friend brought me this rewired homebrew amp built in a Fender Pro Jr chassis and cab. No Pro Jr parts remain. Front panel is still input, volume and tone controls. Both power and output trannys have been changed/replaced. The amp has four octal tube sockets. It looks like it's wired for a rectifier tube and two parallel, single-ended 6V6s. It's all true point-to-point wiring. Everything is hung off of tube pins or terminal strips.

The real head scratcher is the preamp tube. The amp doesn't have a tube in this spot, so I'm looking at the octal socket and trying to figure out what tube it's supposed to be wired for. I can see pins 2 and 7 are wired for filaments. Pin 8 seems to be a plate, there is B+ connected to it with some resistors, also a coupling cap that feeds guitar signal to the two power tubes. Pins 1, 3, and 5 are tied together and grounded. Pin 4 seems to be the input, or grid. Pin 6 seems to be connected to the B+ supply through a little sliver mica cap. Can anybody tell me what octal preamp tube this socket may be wired for?
    Ace!8-)>
    Ace Pepper Custom Amps

6sj7 with cathode and g3 grounded for grid leak bias. May not be that tube but the pinout fits and it's a typically used preamp pentode in older amps. Look at the Fender Champ 5C1 schematic.

Comment

Thanks man! That drawing does look like what I'm seeing in the amp. Now to track down a 6sj7, see what this sucker sounds like.
      Ace!8-)>
      Ace Pepper Custom Amps

Comment

Working...
      X