Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the average mV output of a guitar pickup (single coil)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the average mV output of a guitar pickup (single coil)

I was testing a built in compressor circuit on a solid state 1979 Gibson L5 and the service notes said to use a 100mV sine wave and tweak a potentiometer when x happened.

It got me thinking....

What is the average output in mV of a guitar pickup (assume a volume pot on 10 and a heavy handed E chord (open Es) is struck.
    Thoughts?

Originally posted by timrichter9 View Post
    I was testing a built in compressor circuit on a solid state 1979 Gibson L5 and the service notes said to use a 100mV sine wave and tweak a potentiometer when x happened.

It got me thinking....

What is the average output in mV of a guitar pickup (assume a volume pot on 10 and a heavy handed E chord (open Es) is struck.
    Thoughts?
    250 mV ≈ peak w/single coil

Comment

I have always went with 100mv's.
      It sure will depend on the pickup & how hard you slam the strings.

Comment

If you bash out power chords on a hot humbucking pickup, you can get upwards of 1v peak on the pick attack. 100mV is a good representative level for an average pickup during the sustain phase of the note.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          If you bash out power chords on a hot humbucking pickup, you can get upwards of 1v peak on the pick attack. 100mV is a good representative level for an average pickup during the sustain phase of the note.
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X