Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall DSL 50 still passing signal with the volumes on 0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL 50 still passing signal with the volumes on 0?

Hi guys,

First post here, just looking for a little insight.

It's pretty slight but my DSL still passes some volume even with the knob all the way to 0. Has anybody experienced this?

Also, if I set up a volume pedal patch in the loop and pull it all the way to zero, I'm getting some bleed. I.e, there's still signal passing to some degree. As I wind up the volume pedal, I'm getting a little phasing. It's almost like it's acting like a parallel fx loop!? I didn't notice it at higher volumes but it's there at lower volumes. To give you an idea of how loud this bleed is, the guitar strummed acoustically is louder but even so.

I tried just plugging a lead into the fx return and I'm still getting the same bleed. It's pretty much there no matter what.

Thoughts?

It is common enough and usually goes unnoticed while playing, since after all, who plays with the controls at zero?

It is called crosstalk, and is not rare. The term comes from like a PA mixer. Let us say you had a hot signal on channel 1 but turned it down there, yet channel 2 right next to it will pick up a small amount from the channel next door. The signal crosses over to the adjacent channel. The same thing happens in guitar amps. The preamp is still amplifying the signal whether you turn down the volume or not. The later stages of the amp wil pick up and amplify the small amount of radiated signal from the early stages. It can also happen when poorly decoupled stages do not keep signal out of the powr supply.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ah ok cool. So there's no fix for this? Anybody heard of anything similar?

Comment

Could be that this problem is associated with the FX loop. Maybe this is a good fix for the problem but I can't tell you this with any true experience. Still, the link below seems like an easy enough mod to try and the symptoms you are explaining are identical.

gsharp.co.uk - Homepage
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Definitely almost identical, aside from I get it at a very low level when I'm not using the loop at all. Not really a biggie, just curious really.

Comment

Working...
          X