No announcement yet.

Noise problems - Silverface Deluxe Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize this is ancient to you but can you give an update? I just recapped my Silverface DR and did a few of the Blackface mods (bias adjust, bias cap, filter cap values). It is sounding pretty good but i still have some buzz/hum that i want to chase away.

How silent were you able to get your SFDR? Since i recapped the amp (all new tubes as well), what are other problem areas can you address to reduce noise?

Comment

You won't get rid of all the hiss or hum, a certain amount is to be expected. The question is, how much hiss and hum is there? Hiss and hum are symptoms of different things BTW so, best to think about them as two issues.

Do you have to put your ear right up against the speaker to hear the noise or can you hear it loud-and-clear across the room?

Is the hiss a sort of staticy/bacon frying sort of sound or is it a smooth "shhhhh" sort of sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
        You won't get rid of all the hiss or hum, a certain amount is to be expected. The question is, how much hiss and hum is there? Hiss and hum are symptoms of different things BTW so, best to think about them as two issues.

Do you have to put your ear right up against the speaker to hear the noise or can you hear it loud-and-clear across the room?

Is the hiss a sort of staticy/bacon frying sort of sound or is it a smooth "shhhhh" sort of sound?
        Mmm. Bacon.

Yes you can hear it standing few feet away. I was reading last night of someone that solved an issue like that by throwing out a crappy power strip. I think that might be part of my issue. It does sound like a grounding hum. I will post a sound example and get more specific answers to your questions. Thank you!

Comment

Mostly RF in room

Hi Spiral,

The amp still has some hiss, but I can live with it at this point. I never did the filter recap, now on my "someday" do-list.

I found another (embarrassing) source of significant noise - the overhead track lighting. doh! It was wreaking havoc with any axe that wasn't fully shielded - e.g., 67 Guild Starfire. This wasn't clear until *after* I had other guitars to play thru the amp, so I assumed it was the amp, not ambient RF noise.

Turning off the lites while playing helped some, and on my solid bodies, completely shielding the control cavity/pickguard helps also.

Anyone know a good guitar tech in SF Bay Area that can shield hollow-body guitars? :->

Comment

Working...
          X