Bench supply recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench supply recommendations

Sorry if this is not the best place to ask this. I am looking for a bench supply. Probably a 60v variable so I could do bias voltages, and a fixed 5v tap would be nice. But I am open to suggestions. It looks like it's $250+ USA made, or less for Chinese. Is the import stuff that much less in quality? What do you use, and what would you buy today if you were in the market?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I'm always partial to HP. Tons of them used on EBay.

Comment

60v variable and 5v is an odd combination. SO what all do you intend to use it for?

I just gave a Heathkit IP-32 to a friend of mine to sell on Ebay for me. Google that model. There are a number of other Heathkit versions of similar nature, plus competing brands like Eico and others. That has 0 to +400v @ 100ma for B+, 0 to -100v @1ma for bias (C-), and 6.3VAC @ 4A for heaters. It was a typical bench supply back when tubes were the thing. You could knock out some tube circuit and power it with this unit rather than having to build a power supply too.

Modern bench supplies are more likely to be oriented towards solid state, and so typical would be a pair of 0-20 or 0-30v DC suppies plus a dedicated +5v supply for logic circuits. I recently sold a B&K unit like that, and have a few old Heathkit units as well. I have a Heath unit on my bench in fact.

Since the variable supplies in a modern unit are floating, you COULD connect two in series for 0-60, but that seems clumsy to me and it ties up the whole supply.

And have you considered building one?

And supplies do not have to be all in one. I have some switching supplies across the room with clip leads wired to them, so I can have a feew amps of 5v wherever I want them, along with some +12. I have been collecting some electrophoresis supplies too.They are variable high voltage DC supplies only. NO bias, no heater. Just 0-500 or 0-1000vDC.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

As per the usual, Enzo knows what's up. I will be scouting for a used IP32, or such, because that is really what I need to work on these "old fashioned" tube amps! I learn something here every day! I am thankful for all of the well experienced techs and even engineers that are so willing to teach here.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Try this: http://bit.ly/18xXLr5

Comment

yes^^^ That is a newer version of the same thing. I have one of those in my shop too, recently recapped mine. (I have too many power supplies, I think) It too would be a good choice.

Keep in mind the limits of such supplies. 4A of heater and 100ma of B+ won;t power up a whole Twin Reverb or other 100 watter. But is perfect for a tube preamp or a smaller circuit like a Champ.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X