X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Superlead sounding bad after can cap job

Hi all,

I have a couple different issues.

1. After I replaced the can caps with F+T's the tone lost it's body and the distortion had a high end grainyness instead of the regular smoothness.

2. Not sure how long this has been happening but at low volumes if the mids are all the way down and you strike a chord hard you can hear a large amount of compression cutout and then the sustain returns at normal volume. (like having a compression pedal set high)

There is one mod to the amp, a Rich-mod PPIV that I've had for a year or so. The amp has sounded great with it up until now.

Channel two sounds better than channel one but probably because there is more bass making up for the lack of body in the tone.

After the cap job I adjusted the bias again. I also tested preamp tube voltages but could not find a schematic that listed them-

V1A- 160
    V1B- 220
    V2A- 171.8
    V2B- 294.7
    V3A- 231.6
    V3B- 211

I like the purr-dee pictures.

1959 chassis layout - MetroAmp Wiki

Comment

Really one of the odder places to find a chart, scroll down to the chart on pg. 25

Vacuum Tube and Guitar and Bass Amplifier Servicing - Tino Zottola - Google Books Super Lead test points&f=false

Comment

I know it is a lot of work, but if you did the upgrade yourself, back out all the way and do it a step at a time and document your findings. I have a '77 2203 sitting right beside me that the original caps check just fine with my extensive test equipment. It has not been gigged since '87 and until it doesn't sound good, I'm not changing a thing. I do have a non-master 1959 from '74 that I have replaced the PS caps in but it has problems with double notes at the high registers which I am going to be working on since I just retired. More than likely it is PI balance so I will first tweak V3 before looking at the caps I just changed.

Good luck!
        ..Joe L

Comment

Working...
        X