• transitor substitution help

i suck at this, i need your help:
    hartke ha 3500;
    toshiba 2sb1429
    2sb2155
    mesa boogie fathom bass amp;
    sml buz901cdp b0532jy
    any tips on subsitution or books i should be reading? thanks , stephen

2SB1429 available at MCM Electronics: -180V -15A 150W Toshiba Transistor TO-3P(L) | TOSHIBA | Distributed By MCM

2SB2155 is probably actually 2SD2155 (complement to 2SB1429) and is available at MCM: 180V 15A 150W Bce Toshiba Transistor TO-3P(L) | TOSHIBA | Distributed By MCM

When searching for any transistor it is usually best to omit the stuff that comes after the main part number so rather than BUZ901CDP just search on BUZ901 (or in this instance BUZ901P for plastic case). A little harder to find, but they are out there.

I would make an effort to find/order the exact replacement types rather than substitute if possible.

Edit: Mesa Boogie Parts Dept might be the best place to source the BUZ901's, since they may come in matched grades, possibly identified by a colored dot.
    Last edited by Mark Black; 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I am not saying 'for sure' but I got a few bogus transistors from MCM.
      The 2SB1429 is not in production any more.

Comment

I've had power transistors that aren't what they appear to be, from various places. Buy parts from reputable suppliers with traceable sourcing and you should be OK.

Here's a handy cross reference for finding transistor equivalents;

Bipolar Transistor Cross-reference Search | Equivalent Transistors
        Last edited by Mick Bailey; 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

Yeah I've been had too, in one case to the tune of (as I recall) 22 output transistors in one channel of a Crest 8001. All fake. All failed. Bastards!

Comment

Working...
          X