Discharging Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharging Caps

I don't know if anybody else will find this interesting, but... this is the latest version of my cap discharger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	900.3 KB
ID:	867510

Its basically a voltmeter that makes audio frequencies instead of numbers (kind of like a metal detector,) the idea being that you can know from the sound what the voltage is, which allows you to keep your eyes on your hands while you have them in a potentially lethal chassis.

On the left you can plug in any fluke or banana test leads, and depending on the white knob it can just measure, or discharge at two rates, 50K (10W) or 5K (100W.)

The audio part runs on a 9V and pulls about 8mA. The audio amp (far right) is a 386 amp that is kind of overkill, but they used to be available already made and cheap on ebay. The speaker came out of a casio keyboard I think. I built the breadboard in-between. It has a divider and limiter, then an absolute-value opamp, a level-shift gain-adjust opamp, and the last opamp and transistor is a clever VCO I wanted to try from Horowitz and Hill (which they got it off some app note or data sheet.) All the opamps are 358.

My setup is that 0V is about 200Hz, and the freq goes up linearly with voltage to +-500V where it peaks out at about 2kHz. You can easily hear variations as small as 1V.

Cool. I suspect that someone will chime in to say this is way too much trouble to discharge a cap telling us that they just use a resistor or a screwdriver.
    However, I like it.

Since I like to build custom stuff for my bench I save lots of old equipment to gut with the plan of building something special but nothing beyond ideas have materialized since I built my dummy load box in the '60s. Someday soon...after I fix some test equipment that needs service...after I finish the punch list from the house remodel...after I catch up with the amp restoration waiting list ...oh my, got to go.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I guess I should probably have said more about the motivation...

To fully appreciate the safety factor the VCO provides, (i.e. not having to take your eyes off your probe hand and glance over at a meter) you need to work on stuff over 1kW. Or even better, you need to work on something over 1kW and have the experience of your probe slipping off a test point and sparks flying while you are glancing over at a meter.

But even in small amps that aren't particularly dangerous, the VCO helps things go faster since checking, discharging, and verifying becomes a one-step process.

Comment

Woody, you definitely score some major geek points for your creative design.

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        I suspect that someone will chime in to say this is way too much trouble to discharge a cap telling us that they just use a resistor or a screwdriver.
        OK, Tom, I'll take the bait. Although I wouldn't go using a screwdriver without a welder's helmet, I've never had a problem using the KISS method of a resistor and a pair of test leads.

Many people just use a suitable resistor wired up between a pair of probe tips and let the resistor take it's time to dissipate whatever power is in the circuit. Instead of cluttering up my workspace with another set of single purpose test leads (that I can never find) or another single purpose device (that takes up more space), I just use the BFR method: I clip into the circuit and plug the test leads into the banana jacks on my load box. Then I flip a switch to fast drain the circuit into the dummy load. Large resistance with a low power rating, or low resistance with a high power rating, the number of joules being dissipated is the same either way.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Just noticed the above picture of the discharging unit, there's also Macrotech o/p cards...
          Experience comes with more understanding

Comment

Originally posted by plec.22 View Post
            Just noticed the above picture of the discharging unit, there's also Macrotech o/p cards...
            Wow, good eye -- I was working on a 5002 last Friday.

Its actually kind of relevant because each of the 4 caps in that amp is about 75 Joules and I've never really been a fan of Crown's discharge method...

Its the "hey-these-pliers-are-getting-uncomfortably-warm-and-where-can-I-drop-this-smoking-hot-resistor-whose-power-rating-I-just-exceeded-by-a-large-margin" procedure.

Comment

For draining large caps I used to 10k paralleled 50w each bolted on to a heat sink..
              Experience comes with more understanding

Comment

Great idea!

Aron

Comment

Working...
                X