Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Bandit-75 possible problem with distortion channel

Hey folks,

I bought an old Peavey Bandit 75 from a pawn shop and it needed to be major cleaned up. After playing on it I notice the distortion channel doesn't seem to use the tone stack that the clean channel uses. Not sure if Peavey made this amp that way or if both channels are suppose to share the tone stack. This amp only has one tone stack on it. Just wondering if Peavey designed the amp this way? The distortion channel is terrible with no tone stack.

Anyone have any background on this model?

Thanks

Slo

The Lead channel has an 'automatic thick eq'
    (page 4) http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300720.pdf
    I do not have a schematic.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

This from another forum:"Re: Peavey Bandit 75 schematic?
      « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »
      Customer service at Peavey sent me the pdf. Believe it or not, the tone stack is BYPASSED when the amp is in lead mode. That is so weird! I've never seen a design like it. The only tone control available to the lead channel is the Presence control." Peavey Bandit 75 schematic?

Comment

Originally posted by Fragger View Post
        This from another forum:"Re: Peavey Bandit 75 schematic?
        « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »
        Customer service at Peavey sent me the pdf. Believe it or not, the tone stack is BYPASSED when the amp is in lead mode. That is so weird! I've never seen a design like it. The only tone control available to the lead channel is the Presence control." Peavey Bandit 75 schematic?
        No tone stack... what were they thinking, or not thinking??? Oh well, I will just run a dirt pedal thru the clean channel then... oh well for $70 bucks its still a decent deal... It sounds no where as good as my Fender Bandmaster amps but still decent for noodling...

Comment

The Peavey Triumph 60, which is all-tube, also bypassed the tone stack on the Ultra and Crunch channels, so it wasn't just their transistor low-budget models. I can't recall offhand some of the other brands which did so too but maybe Carvin; I don't think Peavey was the only manufacturer to have a separate fixed tone on the Lead channel.

Also, while the tone-stack bypass may not sound that great in the bedroom practice space, Peavey was pretty good about having EQ that sat well in a live band mix.

Comment

The idea was to restrict the frequencies that sound crappy when distorted.

Comment

I am looking at the Triumph, and I don't see that. I see the output from the treble control routed through the channel relay to either channel strip. There is though a largish cap, 0.005uf, switch into parallel with the 270pf treble cap, which ought to swamp the tone stack a great deal. But should still have some effect.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X