Output transformers and power tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output transformers and power tubes

I just received output transformer from Marshall for a JCM900/100w with same blown.

Installed now but not ready to power up since I don't have a tube tester to test th EL34's. The JCM has a shorted primary with a drifting ohmmeter reading. Am I too paranoid or is it likely that a bad tube contributed to the transformer failure? I am happy when an explanation of a failure is understood...

Does that amp have the cathode fuses (op valve failure)? If so were they blown or incorrect value? I would also be very suspicious of the tubes that were in there when the OT primary fried.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Help us out, JCM900 is a series of amps, not a model. What amp do you have?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Considering the wire sizes used this OT will need serious "efforts" to blow. Check your mains and other fuses ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Help us out, JCM900 is a series of amps, not a model. What amp do you have?
          Funny thats the same question the Marshall Rp aked... It's the 100 watt 4100. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Considering the wire sizes used this OT will need serious "efforts" to blow. Check your mains and other fuses ratings.
            The transformer is definitely toast. I thought the rap was OEM OT's were not so robust.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I would replace the power tubes if the OT was blown in any amp. And would be damn careful when I start to back up.

Comment

Problem is I did not include a quad of el34 when giving the repair quote. I may have to go with testing and matching if needed.

Comment

Working...
                X