X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modification to Ashdown 5.15

Good day,
    I'm about to modify my Ashdown 5.15 like this:
    1. Remove and discarde TR2, TR3, TR8 and TR9, then clean off the heat sink.
    2. Fit a TIP142 in place of TR2 and a TIP147 in place of TR9 using Silicon pads (or Mica washer and heatsink compound ). Do not fit any components for TR3 and TR8.
    3. Replace R22 and R38 resistors with the new 0R33 ( 6 watt ) resistors
    4. Please ensure there are no resistors fitted in positions R24 and R36.
    5. Fit a wire link between the solder pad where TR3 and R24 join; and the solder pad where TR2 and R22 join..
    6. Change resistor R30 from 2K2 to 1K5 .
    7. Turn the amp on with an 8 ohm load connected to the output, but with no input.... measure the voltage across R22 and R38 with a DC milli-voltmeter and adjust preset P1 for 3 mVolts on whichever is the lower, they should be between 2.5 and 3.5 mVolts.
    8. Inject a signal into the input and test as usual, then play.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashdown 5-15 1%.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	867549
    not being trained in your art, I have a couple of questions;
    When I first looked inside the amp there was glue all over the place. I thought the caps had leaked so I cleaned it up and changed all the caps.What can I use as glue?

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	867552
    can any one tell me which fuse goes where? There is a 3.15A and a 1.6A. The amp has been messed with a bit before I got it and I would like to be sure of this.

Name:	2003-12-31 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	823.7 KB
ID:	867551
    P1 had some sort of green resine on it, I cleaned that of aswell. was that a mistake?

Name:	2003-12-31 009.JPG
Size:	828.9 KB
ID:	867553
    The reason for the modification is because the 3.15A fuse blew while I was playing (was hammering it a bit at the time) should I be changing any other components while I'm at it?
    Thanks for any help!! 1%

Were any of the old parts bad? I don't understand why you are making all these changes, instead of repairing it original.

It sounds as though you may not understand the circuit, so I wonder where did this list of steps come from?

I see two fuse clips on the board. Both fuses should be the same. Printed on the board it says for the 30/15 watt model, use 1.6A fuses, while for the 65 watt model., use the 3.15T fuses. You appear to have the 65 watt version, so your fuses should both be 3.15A, not 1.6A. The two fuses are simple series fuses for the two hot transformer leads.

Answer this: were TR3 and TR8 already missing when you got the amp? Because I think the board is used in several amp models, and they mount only the parts they need. SO in the 15 watt version they would have installed TR3,8 and left out TR2.9. In other words, those parts are supposed to be missing, and no further modification is necessary. Or are you trying to do some other conversion between models? Or am I just really wrong?

The glue on the board was there to help prevent the larger parts from shaking around. You can use hot-melt glue, or just do without.

P1 is your bias setting trimmer. It was set at the factory, then glue dabbed on it to prevent the setting from getting changed.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. Your right about the fuses. After they blew I tried to find out why and came across someone that had posted with a similar problem.(Ashdown Five-Fifteen 100w combo keeps blowing fuses. Help me?)
      The modifications cured his problem. I have some basic experience with circuit boards and can solder so I thought I'd take it on.
      If the bias setting trimmer has 'moved' could that blow the fuses?
      As soon as the amp is switched on them fuses blow!
      thanks for any advice

Comment

OK. I'm going to order the parts and I want to make sure I'm getting the right resistors etc (let's pretend I don't know what I'm doing)

Name:	Ashdown 5-15 1%.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	830075
        so: Replace R22 and R38 resistors with the new 0R33 ( 6 watt ) resistors. Are these the correct ones? 0,33 ohm RES-0,6W :: 0 ohm - 91 ohm :: Metal Film 0,6W :: Resistors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH
        and: Change resistor R30 from 2K2 to 1K5 is this what I need? Royal Ohm 1,5k 1W :: Royal Ohm 1W :: Resistors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH
        last: Zener diodes for 15v...not sure what to order. any advice welcome.
        thanks for anyones time. merci

Comment

Ok. finally found all the right components and with lots of advice from Captain Dissorder think I managed to solder all in the right places. If anyone else is doing this modification it should look like this when finished:

Name:	P1010058.JPG
Size:	793.1 KB
ID:	831084
          haven't tried it yet.......Thanks again anyone that gave me their time!

Comment

Working...
          X