Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Ampeg V2 blowing main fuse at full volume only....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stop tinkering with that, and call someone to come fix it." That would be the only sort of context for the word in my upbringing. My dad "tinkering" with the toaster. It meant poking and prodding in hopes of accomplishing something, but implied a lack of knowledge of the thing. If he knew what he was doing, he'd have been fixing it, not "tinkering" with it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So just a quick update: The Ampeg came back with crackle issues from dirty corroded NOS tube pins (Dremel and brass wire wheel cleaned them all up) and I discovered one of the Winged Cs was redplating. I switched the tubes and the redplate followed the tube. 9 months for a set of regularly gigged tubes isn't the worst. The Winged Cs sounded very good but pretty sure they aren't being made anymore and the prices are getting crazy on the leftovers. I have 2 pairs of 6L6GC and EL34 for personal stash yay.

As I explained to the owner at the beginning, this thing will be a pain to maintain. He doesn't have a ton of dough, and he's a working musician, so he needs to rely on his amp. I recommended he buy a new modern amp that he could rely on for shows and he agreed and bought a Blackstar (I think).

I am going to put back the original 7027s that came with it that test good, and he's going to baby it at home. Hopefully he get some years out of those tubes.

Comment

The tubestore has JAN 6L6WGB for about $70 each. I have a set of them in a V4 and it has been run with them for years with no problems. I know the V2 has a bit higher plate voltage, but I think you may have very good results with these. I don't baby the amp, it's out on long term loan for studio and gigging use.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks g-one. I have an old pair running in a Garnet Mini Bass - low 400Vs I think and they sound great. I bought them used and they are still running strong after years of light use. I have another pair on stash.

Turns out there will be no more service done on this Ampeg. It is being returned with no power tubes back to the owner., as per his decision. The old pair had test numbers on them from my tube tester of 68/80 out of 120 and biased up at 25mA and 41mA - I was looking for 30mA at about 565V or so. I couldn't leave those in, so no tubes at all. They were mismatched by year as well so one or both are not original to the amp. Pretty sure original amps had Ampeg branded tubes anyways. Maybe it'll be back one day.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer their thoughts.

Comment

Working...
          X