Bassman AB165 burned filament resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassman AB165 burned filament resistors

Working on a seemingly all original Bassman AB165 head. Bloated, dripping ps electrolytics causing fuse to blow after on/on a few seconds.

There are two resistors tied between ground and the filament rails off the pilot light. Both are fully open/burned/broken. Is this typical? What are the values (don't see on schematic). Thanks.

That's the virtual center tap. Usually 100 ohms I think. Check to see if it is an original PT. Sometimes replacements have a center tap for the filaments. You can't do it both ways at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by fredcapo View Post
      Working on a seemingly all original Bassman AB165 head. Bloated, dripping ps electrolytics causing fuse to blow after on/on a few seconds.
      To save a little cash in the future, if you see dodgy looking filter caps there's no need to "prove" they're bad by burning fuses. Also why take a chance on wrecking the PT?

On amps this age I automatically replace the bias filter cap without hesitation. Cheap insurance.

Burnt filament balancing resistors mean there's been a short in an output tube. Or possibly an output tube missing its locator key inserted incorrectly. Kaboomski!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Yup, bloated dripping electrolytics go in the trash immediately. If the amp has a tube rectifier, you're more likely to wreck that than the PT, but it's still undesirable.

Russian tubes go kaboomski, Chinese ones go Sum Ting Wong.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X