No announcement yet.

Mesa still Blowing fuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is almost exactly like baking a cake except with hundreds of dollars worth of ingredients and the cake will explode if you poke it the wrong way with a scope probe.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I had an amp in where the guy had followed instructions for a recap. He bought the instructions with him - very clearly written and informative. Except he didn't realise that the caps he'd pulled off the board along with their solder pads and bits of track had nothing wrong with them. He said he'd tried to replaced them because he'd read that amps need a cap job and when he pulled the chassis out every one was oozing. Only it wasn't ooze, it was hot-melt and the amp was less than 5 years old. I've had that a couple of times. Would have been three but the last guy was too ashamed to bring the amp along.

Like baking a cake? only if you can't recognise any of the ingredients, have never cooked before, don't know how the scales work and don't know how to use the cooker. "hmm, Honey, this chocolate cake tastes kinda funny". "Well Elmer, I didn't have any chocolate like the recipe said, so I used the nearest thing I could find in Junior's diaper".

Comment

"Well Elmer, I didn't have any chocolate like the recipe said, so I used the nearest thing I could find in Junior's diaper".
        Eeeew.
        Now that is disgusting!
        And right before lunch.

Comment

To get a broader appreciation of the subject it may be worthwhile dowloading a copy of Jack Darr's book "The electric guitar amplifier handbook" (3rd edition). ISBN 0-672-20848-2

Don't know about the Gerald Weber books, but his DVDs are entertaining enough for a rainy afternoon.

The Randall Aiken has lots of practical information Aiken Amplification

In the future they may be able to inject Enzo's stem cells into your brain. Everything you need to know about amps, plus you'll be able to cook up a totally excellent chili.

BTW - When you fit the replacement transformer make sure to power the amp up with the bulb limiter and without power tubes. Something else could be bad, too.

Comment

Mick, transformer is in my possession and I'm eager to get this amp up and running. But before I do, would you mind telling me if there is a difference in the 2 red and 2 green wires. They are not labeled and I sure don't want to assume that they are the same. Hope you guys are doing well... The cake sounds delicious!

Comment

Mick, scratch that. I had the wiring diagram in the box. we are good. Wired it up and we have power. bulb limiter does not light up. Not blowing fuses either. I'll run more tests on it this weekend.

Comment

Mick, scratch that. I had the wiring diagram in the box. we are good. Wired it up and we have power. bulb limiter does not light up. Not blowing fuses either. I'll run more tests on it this weekend.

Comment

And that cake will kill you if you lay a finger on it.

And that is very much like the cake my wife made last week.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Fellas we have a working amp. Thank you all for your advice and humor. It makes this forum stand out above the other forums. You guys are much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X