Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Weber Legacys in Hot Rod Deville - Does this look right....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Weber Legacys in Hot Rod Deville - Does this look right....??

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so 'Hi!'

I've just fitted my Hot Rod Deville with 2 x 12" Ceramic Weber Legacys - both with 30oz mags but the freq responses are different - one is 75hz and the other 55hz.

They look different where the cone meets the chassis:-

It looks like the cone on the left speaker (55hz) isn't meeting the chassis, but the 'mesh' or 'backing' that the cone is attached to, is - you can see the silver mesh from the front of the amp through this speaker 'backing' - is this right?

The cone on the right speaker (75hz) appears to meet the chassis diameter.

Thanks in advance.

What you are seeing is called the 'surround".
    It is what attaches the speaker cone to the framework.
    It is odd that they used such an odd coloring.
    They are usually black.
    Call Ted Weber & ask them why it is different.
    It may be a material that is suited to the low frequency response. (or the reason )

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      What you are seeing is called the 'surround".
      It is what attaches the speaker cone to the framework.
      It is odd that they used such an odd coloring.
      They are usually black.
      Call Ted Weber & ask them why it is different.
      It may be a material that is suited to the low frequency response. (or the reason )
      Hi, thanks for the reply - the surround is actually 'see thru' - the colour you can see is the mesh from the front of the amp. I've just sent an email to Weber - thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

the 55hz uses a fabric surround attaching the cone to the frame of the speaker. It should be doped, rubbery and black in colour and not transparent. Is yours not this way? Perhaps it's not doped.

Comment

I've seen speaker surrounds made of a fairly coarse weave material and doped with a clear compound. They look black from the front, but you can see light through them. These look just the same.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by clyde1 View Post
            the 55hz uses a fabric surround attaching the cone to the frame of the speaker. It should be doped, rubbery and black in colour and not transparent. Is yours not this way? Perhaps it's not doped.
            Hi - Thanks for the reply - Just had another look - it is black (but lets a lot of light thru it) and there is a 'ridge' in it between the cone and the chassis - this 'ridge' can be felt all the way around which suggests it is doped I guess?

Comment

Totally right Steve. I have several Legacy's here and holding one up to the light, you can see through the fabric and it does look black in appearance, both front and back. I'd say it's all good NeilVox.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                I've seen speaker surrounds made of a fairly coarse weave material and doped with a clear compound. They look black from the front, but you can see light through them. These look just the same.
                Originally posted by clyde1 View Post
                Totally right Steve. I have several Legacy's here and holding one up to the light, you can see through the fabric and it does look black in appearance, both front and back. I'd say it's all good NeilVox.
                Wow - you guys are great - thanks so much for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X