Variable Capacitor in '60s Airline Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable Capacitor in '60s Airline Amp

I was working on a restoration of an old Airline amp and noticed a small variable capacitor (C6 in the schematic). I was curious if anyone had any ideas as to what its purpose might be - variable capacitors aren't something one stumbles into very often in instrument amplifiers.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Neutronarmy View Post
    I was working on a restoration of an old Airline amp and noticed a small variable capacitor (C6 in the schematic). I was curious if anyone had any ideas as to what its purpose might be - variable capacitors aren't something one stumbles into very often in instrument amplifiers.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Looks like some kind of frequency dependent, variable negative feedback. Like a presence control.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
      Looks like some kind of frequency dependent, variable negative feedback. Like a presence control.
      That makes a lot of sense. I think the addition of the variable capacitance rather than variable resistance threw me off. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Neutronarmy View Post

Thanks in advance!
        Chris
        We talking about C6, right? It looks to me like a humbucker. By feeding back a bit of hum in antiphase you cancel the hum on the output and so can use a less expensive power supply design. It's used to modulate the screen grid. Quite clever, really.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

So is it mounted with the other controls, like a presence, or is it a trim pot somewhere, like a hum balance?
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X