Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEM Dominator/ Ch2 not working.

Chaps-

Got a WEM dominator (mk1 bass it is, same circuit as mk3) here with a non working ch2.
    Done the obvious tube swap from good ch1 and no joy.
    Done giving the socket a damn good seeing-to also.

Nothing looks fried, or wires unsecure. Anyone know this amp? ideas where to start? thx SC.

Is this the one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dominator_mk3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	831410

Do you hear any change at all when you twiddle the ch2 volume?
    With the ch2 volume up what happens when you tweak the bass 7 treble controls?
    Do you have any test equipment?
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      Is this the one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25807[/ATTACH]

Do you hear any change at all when you twiddle the ch2 volume?
      With the ch2 volume up what happens when you tweak the bass 7 treble controls?
      Do you have any test equipment?
      Hi nickb- yes thats the one great I was wondering how to get my one up.

Nothing happens tweaking Bass or Treble. Its a very dead sound/ zilch.

I do have a MM, and experience (but way moreso than knowledge of circuits). It does look fairly simple in there.

thx Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
        Nothing happens tweaking Bass or Treble. Its a very dead sound/ zilch.
        The first test is to check for voltages. Check for high voltages on the plates of the preamp tube, pins 1 and 6. Then check for a small voltage on the cathodes, pins 3 and 8. The schematic is not marked, so compare the voltages to those of the working channel.

Make sure that you follow all safety guidelines when working on a powered on amp.

If the schematic is correct, then the driver/PI tube also needs to be checked. Try swapping that tube as well.

Comment

Bill-all sorted..

I followed your checks & before even comparing to V1 (ok afaict) I read 0.08v on pin 1, and 346v on pin 6. So I followed my nose & read the pin 1 100k plate resisitor as open circuit/ plonked in a new carbon comp.. and ch2 good as gold!

{Blimey I wish all fixes were like this! 2 replies 1/2hr work, done... compared to my nightmare other amp: all of 5 weeks on it & still cant even find the prob!)

many thanks, SChief.

Comment

Chief,

I am glad to read that your "satisfaction-to-time spent" ratio is increasing. You've had a few rough patches there.
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Indeed. I needed this fix! tbh the knowledge gained from my other pita amp threads meant I could apply some basic knowledge to this. Ie testing/ trying the plate resisitor 1st up.

Now tho its back to the pita amp.. shucks- what an utter arse.

Comment

Working...
              X