Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dumbassbob 63 Bandmaster amp is Fixed!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dumbassbob 63 Bandmaster amp is Fixed!!!!!

I thought with all the trouble I started here I would give a update...I first tried to call and email Bruce but maybe from the floods in Colorado he didn't answer...I found a tech Skip Simmons amp repair up near Sacramento...All that was wrong was cold solider joints on the grounds The power tube plate wires were switched Retensioned the tube sockets He put new soilder on everything,didn't change anything, but the shield wire job on the normal channel and 3 of Webers filter caps ..He Charged me $100.00..The Amp sounds so good,Anyone who says a amp is just a amp is wrong,Ask Eddie Van Halen...

Good to hear! I'm glad you finally got this thing repaired to your satisfaction! Thanks for the update.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Terrific Bob! Glad to hear it & hope it stays fixed for a long long time. What a long fezzle.....
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
        ...All that was wrong was cold solider joints on the grounds...
        Interesting and probably more common than people realize that an amp can be fixed by repairing the bad workmanship that had built up as the amp went from shop to shop.

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
        ... The power tube plate wires were switched ...
        Wow. If you mean that they were connected to the wrong tubes then the amp was operating with positive feedback. That's a serious problem and would certainly make the amp sound very bad.

Glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          Wow. If you mean that they were connected to the wrong tubes then the amp was operating with positive feedback. That's a serious problem and would certainly make the amp sound very bad.
          ......and GW should have easily discovered that!
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

And now a word from our sponsor.
            Vintage Amp Repair, Expert Fender Amp Repair | Skip Simmons Amp Repair

Sometimes it is best (as Enzo has often stated) to treat the repair as a 'new' repair.
            What Skip accomplished was a typical 'get it on the bench, check it out & make it right" repair.
            Plus the man had the equipment, the knowledge & the skills to use them.

Way to go Skip.

Comment

Hooray for Skip, you bet! Also let's not forget DAB's amp is equipped with that unusual tonestack variation Fender was experimenting with @ 1963-4. 52 Bill drew it out & what's more, in the style of Fender's schemos of the period. Those who are in a mood to experiment might want to try it, or a variation. Who knows, maybe this is where the "magic tone" is. If I'm not mistaken the unmarked cap is a 390 pF mica "domino". Please correct this if my memory is defective. Here's 52 Bill's schemo, so ya don't have to go searching:
              Attached Files

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Bob. As many around here suspected, it was a fairly simple issue, and not a very expensive repair. You were very fortunate to find someone like Skip rather than another parts changer.
                I liked what Skip had to say here: The Truth About Vintage Amps | Skip Simmons Amp Repair
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Skip probably shouldn't be linked to here, he is reciting heresy that every kitchen table tech that read a few forums repeats and rebuts and experienced tech who dares to say that most parts changed were not needed and actually make the amp less valuable and less reliable. How dare he say that all caps do not need to be replaced as a matter of standard procedure. The last thread where I mentioned the illogic of automatic cap replacement, I even got PMs stating I did not know anything about amps or sound.

This whole amp saga started by a tech, charging a lot, never did a diagnosis but just started changing parts. I am starting to think that the most sure way to ruin the value and performance of an amp is to send it to about 90% of people calling themselves techs. It was not that way 20 years ago but the internet has made everyone an expert without having to learn the details or fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                    Skip probably shouldn't be linked to here, he is reciting heresy that every kitchen table tech that read a few forums repeats and rebuts and experienced tech who dares to say that most parts changed were not needed and actually make the amp less valuable and less reliable. How dare he say that all caps do not need to be replaced as a matter of standard procedure.
                    Caution: high irony content!

20 years back and beyond, yes even then there were plenty of tech charlatans. Skip, Stan, lots of other correspondents here at MEF, and I, have had to undo their half-ass work. (I could give you pages & pages of stoopid thing's I've found done to amps, included by the famous techs who like to write articles about themselves and dispense disinformation, like cleaning pots with carburetor cleaner spray, or that all SVT outputs are wired backwards, etc. But I'll spare yez all. Today...) I'm delighted DAB found Skip and brought him to our attention. Looks like he's fighting the good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      ...I'm delighted DAB found Skip and brought him to our attention. Looks like he's fighting the good fight.
                      Yes, but it's mystifying that Bob didn't take advantage of any of the several offers from MEF members to fix his amp.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about what Skip says.
                        Some good advice , such as don't necessarily replace caps (supposedly without reason) and such mixed with stupid statements such as don't use 3 prong plugs (presumably it will alter tone).
                        Plus blanket statements such as "*any* old amp beats *any* modern clone"
                        Really???
                        No buts or ifs no whys?
                        Although, of course, a lot of people finds fundamentalism reassuring.
                        Donīt think he's any better or worse than 1000 other snake oil salesmen, just has a slightly different discourse, which by the way happened to match dumbassbob's current expectations.
                        Good, hope Skip has good use for his $100 and dumbassbob can rest now and just enjoy playing the guitar.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          such as don't use 3 prong plugs (presumably it will alter tone).
                          Nope, I'm thinkin' "value." Collectors who put their amps in their amp museum, what do they care about shocks? They never plug 'em in! It's all about "just as it left the factory." Old cars too, but . . . batteries & tires don't last 50 - 100 years. For those who must have them, someone is making an exact copy of the Model T Ford battery.

Plus blanket statements such as "*any* old amp beats *any* modern clone"
                          Yup, I'll have to disagree with Skip on this. There are some excellent amps built recently, whether clones or not. But he seems to be dam' near 100% on the ball about everything else, I'll forgive.
                          Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Personally, life has taught me to be be wary of anyone who is that sure of himself to advertise that he knows better than the rest. Statements such as "maybe you've read the book, but the book is wrong" just don't inspire me much.
                            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                              They never plug 'em in!
                              If any piece of equipment that is not fit to be connected to the mains (as in: not conform to regulatory requirements) crosses my bench, I either fix it or make damn sure it never gets plugged in (by removing the mains cord). I'm required by law to do so. If someone would get hurt, I'd risk having my ass hauled in court. Just telling a client the equipment is not safe and should not be used, will not suffice.

Comment

Working...
                              X