No announcement yet.

Haunted by David Eden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's one of the later revisions to that board. Is this a WT-800 C-version then? I don't see them nearly as often as the A-version, presumably because they're significantly more reliable.

My understanding is that yes, the pot controls the symmetry of the negative feedback, helping to balance the gain of the two diffamp stages.

Comment

This DE don't seem to want to give up it's pedigree too easily. Here's the back panel markings... just a WT-800 made in 2005.

Click image for larger version

Name:	revision.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	831958

The amp module circuitboards are silkscreened with REV A. Whether it is a REV C or not would be purely speculation on my part, not that this really matters to me as long as both amps crank out somewhere around 300 to 400 clean watts when all is said and done.
      ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Comment

What are the markings on the back about minimum load impedance? The C-version (of the WT-800, not of any particular module inside it) is rated for minimum 2-ohm load on each power module, or 4-ohm load bridged. A and B versions are rated for 4-ohm minimum per side, 8-ohm bridged. Keep in mind that the A-version had A, B, and C revisions (ugh). The power module itself is the WT-400 one, it's just that there are two of them in the 800.

2005 is later, but not guaranteed to be the latest. The WT-800A that I worked on (C-revision of the WT-800A) was made in '96 and did not have the 1M balancing trimmer. You might have a B-version, which I've never seen in person.

Last I checked, Eden was charging end-users $500 to upgrade older WT-800s to the C-version. I don't know what was involved but I'm guessing it was just dropping in two new power modules.

Comment

I guess maybe then it's a REV B. It has 4 ohms minimum for each channel or 8 ohms bridged.
          ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Comment

Working...
          X