Peavey special 130 pop on clean channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey special 130 pop on clean channel

I'm the proud owner of a Peavey special 130 (best ss amp I've had)--but it has a POP (crackel) that occurs on the clean channel
    when the amp is at a fairly loud level when I hit 2 notes (not low notes) simultaneously --or sometimes 1 note).Any ideas as to some things to check ?There is NO hum of any type and the overdrive side of the amp seems ok.I have the reverb all the way off also.I appreciate your help

Try to determine if it is being caused by the physical vibration from the speaker. See if you can make the problem occur by giving the top of the cab a solid thump with your fist (or a rubber mallet). If so you have a bad connection somewhere in the amp which will likely need to be resoldered.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Tried whacking it on top--it makes no noise then .I've also switched the reverb off with the footswitch.Definitely some big transient the way the speaker moves when i hit the note (I'm hittin it pretty hard),Could it be filters/transistor related?Clean channel mainly.Love the cleans--would sure like to get the dependability back in this one!!

Comment

Try plugging into the "power amp in" jack and see if it still does it. Not sure if you will have enough signal level but worth a try. If so it will eliminate the preamp section. It could be a bad connection or cracked lead at a filter cap or power transistor, but then I would expect it to exhibit the problem when you pound on it. But it's still possible, so you may want to inspect the solder joints in those areas.
        Also, tapping/poking around with a chopstick may help locate the fault.
        Schematic can be found here:
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...-schematic.pdf
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

will try that --I appreciate the help!!

Comment

Working...
          X