Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember the SVT "lifetime warranty" ?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
      Remember the SVT "lifetime warranty" ?
      No but I do remember Magnavox's Quasar TV with "the works in a drawer." Bunch of PC boards - in a drawer - 'makes servicing a snap.' (As long as the fixit man has the right replacement circuit cards.) Would have been a heckuva thing if they applied that to guitar amp construction.

So g-one remind us please, what did the SVT "lifetime warranty" consist of? For me a lifetime of an aching back. And ringing ears. Ow ow ow ow ow .... where's the aspirin? Or the 222's?
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I was curious about this story with Magnavox and since SGM didn't provide any list of "the-only-true-real-american" Ampegs, I started looking for such a list on the internet.
        There is a book: Ampeg: the story behind the sound Ampeg: The Story Behind the Sound - Gregg Hopkins, Bill Moore - Google Books and the book contains such a list. Ampeg was bought by Magnavox in 1971 (from Unimusic) and they just continue what was manufactured previously: B-15N, B-25B, SVT, V-4B. After 1 year they started manufacturing solid state amps. And the company itself was a TV set manufacturer. Some guys claim that their amps were of superior quality, while other claim that it is not true: Magnavox made Ampeg SVT question - TalkBass Forums

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          So g-one remind us please, what did the SVT "lifetime warranty" consist of?
          My best recollection is that there was a lifetime guarantee, excluding tubes and speakers. At some point they went under, were taken over, and the guarantee was null and void due to the closing of the company. Maybe speculation on my part, a bit before my time in repairs.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ampegguar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	832509
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hey Leo...I have a few people I would like to do that to....and I'd like to take that Behringer and Line 6 junk and drop that out the window as well...I never knew Magnavox made Ampegs...there is a lot about the music gear and companies that I do not know....that is why I come here to post questions and get some sound advice...of course every now and then the posts do take a small detour...I agree with you about the aching back....these things weigh a ton...Isn't the V4 amp heavy like the SVT?? For what it is worth, I feel that** original** relates to the company that had started the brand...Leo Fender's original amps were started by him...After he was bought out and driven into exile, every amp made after that is not an original Fender....the same would apply to other manufactures....and I guess if GM was bought out by another manufacturer(and it doesn't have to be a car manufacturer), then the cars made after that point are no longer made by the original manufacturer.......however, they might be just as good...they might be better....or they could be worse...so I guess the correct statement here is that ***The original brand name that was manufactured by the original company would be the original product***after that, once they have been bought out, that is where the **Originality **ends...if you want to get technical....there might be some people here that will not agree with my statement..but that's ok.......But guys, I have to say...I learn much from all of you...even if at times the threads go out of wack...keep up the good work.....It is much appreciated........
            Cheers,
            Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
              there is a lot about the music gear and companies that I do not know....that is why I come here to post questions and get some sound advice.
              Good plan and check out the books & articles recommended when you can.

Isn't the V4 amp heavy like the SVT??
              V4's dense all right but not quite as heavy as an SVT. V2 although only 60W not much lighter. VT22 is a V4 head with 2x12 cab attached, birch plywood, solid as the proverbial brick outhouse & weighs like one too. Back hurts just thinkin' about it. VT22 often sell cheap - a sleeper amp - because they're inconvenient to move & too loud for most gigs these days. Still a quality amp. Another sleeper - VT40 - I had one sitting on my for sale pile @ 12 years & finally sold it to a bass player who loved what it sounded like when he connected the amp to a pair of 18's. Thump and growl, mmm good! Next thing I knew he flipped it to Earl Slick - crikeys Earl you could have had that amp 12 years ago. Stop in & say hello. Haven't seen you in um..... 33 years. (Back then Earl had a band 'Silver Condor', and has done lots of work with David Bowie plus tons of other credits.)

Note that by the time Ampeg went to Magnavox they were no longer making the very cool amps of the mid 60's - Jet, Gemini series, Reverberocket, etc. Right behind me not 3 feet away is a customer's 1962 1x12 Reverberocket, the first major-manufacturer amp with built in reverb. Leo Fender & the guys must have flipped their wigs when they were "beaten to the punch." No matter - if this is what sparked the Fender reverb series that's a good thing. This Reverberocket is no hi gain item but does have a charming tone and those Ampeg reverbs always sounded good.

After he was bought out and driven into exile, every amp made after that is not an original Fender.
              I can't be sure but there may have been a "non-compete" clause in Fender's sale contract with CBS. He may have remained in some background "advisor" capacity but obviously good advice from the "old man" was ignored if that was the case. Note MusicMan, Leo Fender's next effort, started up 1971, just after the end of a typical 5-year "non-compete" would have ended.

CBS didn't start screwing with the designs for a while, then started in on the big ones - Twins & Super Reverbs. They pretty well left Princetons & Champs untrammeled. There's not a post-CBS I haven't been able to make work & sound acceptable for their owners. At least CBS continued to make heavy duty chassis & ptp wiring & good transformers intalled, plus grounded AC cables, so it wasn't all as bad as some make it out to be.

even if at times the threads go out of wack...keep up the good work.....It is much appreciated........Cheers,
              Bernie
              Some of what I like about MEF is its informality. 'Off road driving' sometimes brings enlightenment or entertainment. I appreciate your appreciation & I'm learning a lot here too!

MarkusBass mentioned "Ampeg: The Story Behind The Sound", one of the authors Bill Moore. Is that "our" Bill Moore?

Thanks g-one for the lifetime warranty explanation. Can you imagine - had they continued to honor the warranty it would have put a big crimp in Ampeg's profit margin. There's hardly a tougher amp than an SVT to maintain, then or now. I've said it before so I'll say it again, owning an SVT is like owning a locomotive. Lots of expensive maintenance but what a beautiful & powerful machine when it's working right.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks Leo...I will check out some books and articles on the different manufactures whenever I get the chance...I wish I had the experience you guys have....as they say...the longer you're at it, hopefully the better you will become....and you guys are great......
                Cheers,
                Bernie
                P.S. and yes....sometimes the forum is "Very Entertaining"........lol......

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that rolls his eyes at "Soundguruman's" posts. To be a guru, you must offer guidance, not nonsense. It's a waste of internet to clutter it with your never-changing Ampeg rants, and a waste of time trying to pluck through the muck to find any actual advise.
                  Anyway...
                  To the OP and any one else looking at the CL- also take a quick look at the six 2W 10 ohm resistors on the power board (R35-R40). I've replaced a number of these in amps having the same issue. (Oh no! Someone trying to be helpful!!)

Comment

Hi hodgy...Yes I did check those resistors and they were fine......Thanks for the tip....Much appreciated....
                    Cheers,
                    Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by hodgy View Post
                      I'm glad I'm not the only one that rolls his eyes at "Soundguruman's" posts.
                      New Years Resolution.
                      I am not going to read his posts.
                      I know I will feel better.

Comment

I don't think our current Bill Moore is the same Bill Moore who authored the Ampeg book. I asked him about it recently, and he said he wasn't the author. That confused me, as I remember the author being here when the book first came out. Can anyone clarify this for me?
                        Last edited by bob p; 02-22-2014, 04:38 AM.
                        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Hodgy would be the man to ask about the Heritage SVT-CL.

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Dino and Hodgy (from this photo) helped me several times with various Ampeg amps problems. If this is the guy as Hodgy user on this forum I must say: Hodgy - thank you very much for your help.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
                              Dino and Hodgy (from this photo) helped me several times with various Ampeg amps problems. If this is the guy as Hodgy user on this forum I must say: Hodgy - thank you very much for your help.

Mark
                              I try to help when I can!

Comment

"To be a guru, you must offer guidance, not nonsense."

1. Everything I said is 100% correct. There is no nonsense. It's all TRUE, it's all Factual, it's all verifiable.

2. Every amp repaired here, using this method, is still working, and has no reported problems.

3. I was an Ampeg USA repair Center, before YOU were born. Remember that, " Mr. Johnny Come Lately."

*You offered nothing more than what has already been said, by several others. You have no more experience than the rest of us.

Since I have been working on these amps for DECADES, It is rather easy to tell the difference between a REAL SVT, and an imitation.
                                SLM and Chinese SVT is not a real SVT.
                                It is not designed or built like a real SVT. Still 100% true and verifiable....

So I am not sure what you are trying to say...
                                Since you just repeated what has already been said, many other times, by many other people.

You are certainly not an authority on the subject...not any more than me, not any more than the rest of us.
                                Last edited by soundguruman; 02-23-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X