Ampeg SVT-CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsco View Post
    Hey guy...would it be possible for you, or anybody else for that matter, post me some pics of these different amps?? Seriously, I would like to see what all this fuss is about....I don't have the experience as other people here so it might be a great opportunity for me to see these differences......post me some pics of the internals of some real ampegs, the Magnavox ones, and some Chinese, some Korean ones and any other different ones that you have pics for...oh...and if you have it, a pic of that transformer you got from Magnavox...I will never get to see a Real Ampeg here where I am so the best I can hope for would be some pics....Thanks a bunch...
    Cheers,
    Bernie
    I installed the last real Ampeg SVT output transformer, purchased from Magnavox, in 2001.
    But being the worthless senile old coot that I am, I never thought to photograph it.
    Besides which, my gunpowder flash attachment is out of order...

I think at the time we tried to get two of them...
    but alas, only ONE left.
    You are too late. No More.

Should have called associated press...

But for future reference, Mercury is making a pretty good replacement.
    In fact I dare say, it's probably nicer than the original.

Yeah Mercury is making some pretty nice transformers, so I would go with that one.

Another good one is Hammond 1650W It's rated 280 Watts. But, it can take more than that...
    I ran it over 300 no problem at all. Didn't even get warm.
    Has frequency response to 30 Khz.
    That's the one Ben Verellen uses.
    That's a good one too. I like the Hi Fi output trannys.
    Has really good solid bottom end response. Good call, Ben.
    Last edited by soundguruman; 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      "I never knew Magnavox made Ampegs.."

Behold, the REAL Ampeg. Made in USA.
      1. ANY part you wanted, ANY time you needed it. Especially Transformers*.
      2. Shock absorbers on the circuit boards.
      3. Blows 2 output tubes, in the middle of your show, AND keeps right on playing.
      4. COMPLETE schematics. all you had to do was ask.

Quite a difference from Chinese imitation.

But most of you wouldn't know that. It was before you were born.

--senile old coot

* Yeah, I bought the last, REAL, Ampeg SVT output transformer from Magnavox.
      There are no more now.
      If you want to see a real Ampeg SVT being played on stage, a Conn Strobotuner, and an Acoustic amp and speaker being used live along with Fender amplifiers and other great vintage equipment, go to you tube and type in Seals and Crofts / Hummingbird / 1974 California Jam as your search.

Seals and Crofts / The Gate / 1974 California Jam has a Fender Rhodes being played on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgy View Post
        Thank you, SGM, as usual you are being very helpful and relevant to this thread.
        My name is no longer soundguruman.
        It's "Senile Old Coot."
        SOC to you, thank you very much.

Comment

This?

Seals and Crofts / Hummingbird / 1974 California Jam - YouTube

Dano, welcome to the forum from Lansing.

Good form is to just put up a link.

And don't worry about the "guru."
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            How is it that the phrase "you young whippersnapper" was left out of that post???

I'm glad that I've been reading this thread. Now some things are becoming clearer to me. I was wrong to think that SGM was an outspoken idiot. Now it's evident to me that he's just a senile old coot.
            SOC to you, you young whippersnapper! Thank you very much.

FYI:
            The picture you see in my profile is not actually my picture.
            It's Warren De La Rue's picture. The true inventor of the incandescent lightbulb.
            (he sued Edison for patent infringement, and won)

You thought I was just a crabby old man. No, I am just a crabby young man.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soundman pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	832553
            See? I'm not "really" that old....but you can call me Senile Old Coot, because it's enjoyable.
            (you young whippersnappers)
            Last edited by soundguruman; 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I installed the last real Ampeg SVT output transformer, purchased from Magnavox, in 2001.
              But being the worthless senile old coot that I am, I never thought to photograph it.
              Besides which, my gunpowder flash attachment is out of order...

I think at the time we tried to get two of them...
              but alas, only ONE left.
              You are too late. No More..

Should have called associated press...
              Sorry man...no need to get upset with me....I was only asking for information....

Comment

Originally posted by AL30 View Post
                Bernie, the Ampeg book mentioned earlier in this thread is a really good, historical view of the company. It doesn't go into too many technical details but it does provide some very good info and it's a great read. If you're a fan of Ampeg this the the book to have.

AL
                Thanks Al. I will check that out....There is a Chapter's bookstore here.... I'll see if they have a copy next time I pass by there. I'll check Amazon for sure.....
                Cheers,
                Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                  Thanks Al. I will check that out....There is a Chapter's bookstore here.... I'll see if they have a copy next time I pass by there. I'll check Amazon for sure.....
                  Cheers,
                  Bernie
                  Those who do not study history, are bound to repeat it.
                  In fact, you already have. This thread is living proof.

Comment

Ok SGM..... Thanks for that last tip...

Comment

I knew I seen him somewhere before... Whether crab divin' off the north coast of Oahu or hangin' out with calamaries, no, calamaties uh, clams, oops celebrities you can always find the Guru.
                      Attached Files
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                        If you want to see a real Ampeg SVT being played on stage, a Conn Strobotuner, and an Acoustic amp and speaker being used live along with Fender amplifiers and other great vintage equipment, go to you tube and type in Seals and Crofts / Hummingbird / 1974 California Jam as your search.

Seals and Crofts / The Gate / 1974 California Jam has a Fender Rhodes being played on stage.
                        Ontario Motor Speedway.....there were a few groups that played there, ELP, Sabbath, Deep Purple...Just had a look at some of that vintage gear....good stuff.....caught a glimpse of that SVT as the camera panned passed it...the resolution on this laptop is not all that great...I am going to check it out after on the tv...I have Youtube direct to my tv using the Apple TV interface and application.....the picture quality is much better....
                        Cheers,
                        Bernie

Comment

My name is no longer soundguruman.
                          It's "Senile Old Coot."
                          SOC to you, thank you very much.
                          Fine, but you forgot *again* to update your MEF user's name.

Don't worry, I'll tell your nurse to make certain you take the Memory pill.

Same with the 30 y.o. diver's picture.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Once again the SGM bait and switch. He wants to tell hodgy he was a Ampeg service center since before the guy was born, then calls himself a senile old coot, but then when that stops getting attention he's on to claiming to be young.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If his calendar is *that* uncalibrated, I don´t want to imagine the pitiful state of his bench instruments

To put a reference point on his purported swimmer pictures, as well daily of contradicting tales of " I was an Ampeg Service Tech before ***YOU*** were born" , " I´m young" , " I´m an old senile coot" and any other ridiculous "Quote_of_the_Day" , the actual D.O.B of Michael Steven Friedlander, a.k.a. "soundguruman" is 10/9/57 .

At 56, I would consider him neither "young" nor "old senile coot", so the usual excuses to "forgive" or at least "stand" obnoxious people do not apply.

Oh well.

By the way, the Service Tech Search Page at Ampeg.com does not even know him.

Maybe this explains his sour grapes attitude towards SLM/LOUD?
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just in case anybody is interested...that SVT worked out ok after..I thank everybody for all the help and input...It was greatly appreciated..
                                Cheers,
                                Bernie

Comment

Working...
                                X