Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bassman Sidekick - Cant access the amp chassis

Hi,
    I have a Fender Bassman Sidekick (100W made in Taiwan). It has a faulty input jack that needs to be replaced. I can’t seem to open up the unit. I have taken off the screws on top, the three screws behind speaker baffle, even taken out speaker hoping that will give me some clues, still no luck. Can someone please help?

Some amps have screws hidden under corner protectors.
    Sometimes the chassis is stuck.
    Try and wiggle the chassis to see where it is still screwed in or where it is stuck.

Comment

I believe there are a couple of screws on the rear chassis.
      At the bottom where the chassis makes an 'L'.

Comment

Thanks Drewl, I will see if I can find any under corner protectors. I have already taken off the handle, suspecting something underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          I believe there are a couple of screws on the rear chassis.
          At the bottom where the chassis makes an 'L'.
          Hi Jass P Bass, where do you mean on rear chassis? Sorry but I am not sure. maybe I should post some pictures and then you can point out to me.

Comment

At the top of the rear panel (sorry, I said bottom) there should be screws that hold it to the cabinet.

When you wiggle the chassis, does it move at all?

If it does move (even a little) where does it appear to hang up.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Bassman 100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	832548

I don't think that the handle is involved.
            Sometimes they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              At the top of the rear panel (sorry, I said bottom) there should be screws that hold it to the cabinet.

When you wiggle the chassis, does it move at all?

If it does move (even a little) where does it appear to hang up.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]27664[/ATTACH]

I don't think that the handle is involved.
              Sometimes they are.
              I will try again later in the day, I am at work now. Thanks for the reply, I was getting very frustrated

Comment

That amp looks very similar to the Fender Bassman 100 solid state combo. In that case it is 4 screws on top and 2 screws on each side of the cab. I can't see the front of the amp, but the bassman combo has a curved shape to the front of the chassis. Just had another one of these in the shop two days ago and had to pull it out from the back of the amp. While pushing from the front and pushing the top lip down a bit as it is sliding out. Then there will be speaker terminals to remove before sliding it all the way out. Might have to cut some zip tie to get the speaker wires separated from the other wiring. When I get too frustrated removing a chassis I take a break or I might not use as much finesse.
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I was finally able to work it out with all your input. You need to remove 4 screws on the top, that is very usual in these amps, plus three screws behind speaker baffle! Thankfully the baffle is held by Velcro, so its easy. Next you need to remove 3 screws in back panel (as suggested by Jazz P Bass). The handle also needs to be removed as it is screws into the amp chassis. The chassis is also glued, so need to pry it off with flat blade screw driver (sigh). Next wiggle it out towards back. The back protector corner also need to be removed otherwise the chassis wont slide out. Needs lots of patience as suggested by you DrGonz78.
                  Not best design in my opinion.

Comment

It isn't glued in, it was just stuck to the tolex.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      It isn't glued in, it was just stuck to the tolex.
                      I think you are right Enzo, not exactly glued. May be out of my frustration it appeared to be glued to me :-)

Comment

Snakeskin Fenders are the worst for this - the Tolex has a self-amalgamating effect.

Comment

Working...
                        X