Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matamp???

Yikes.
    Do these all sound muddy and fizzy and just ......bad?
    A Class it says, had a loose barely soldered plate lead, and it's filled with incredibly bad/ugly looking solder joints.
    It doesn't sound decent until you get the dual master up pretty far.
    It has a dual 1Meg for the master, may have been replaced judging by the horrible wiring/soldering.
    Most Oranges I've seen have a 100k dual pot here.

Aside from bad/stupid layout and wiring even the mechanical construction is just very poor.
    Holes drilled/punched wrong for pots so they don't sit right, no knurled washers so the pots spin/move.

The newer Orange amps with PC boards are built much better.

Originally posted by drewl View Post
    Yikes. - - - snip - - - The newer Orange amps with PC boards are built much better.
    I take it you're looking at one of the more recent "Matamp" builds 90's onwards, not 1970 on back.

If so, you're lookin' at it, and yes the company that took Orange back to the market has done a considerably better job. Good for them!

It's kind of foggy info, what happened when Matamp was resurrected, except it wasn't good. Another similar amp called "Electric" popped up about the same time, maybe a way to sidestep trademark. I've seen a couple of both and build quality was ... feh. Not the sort of thing that Matt Matthias built back in the day.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

BTW If you get an old Orange the 'new' Orange doesn't want to know. Matamp is pretty good on supporting the original Orange products. Jim there got me an identical PT wound to an original spec (they still have stocks of laminations and bobbins) and got it to me within two days.

Comment

Working...
      X