TSL 100 intermittent volume jump...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSL 100 intermittent volume jump...?

I saw this amp a couple of weeks ago....owner said it needed new tubes. It's an early one from 1999...I pulled the chassis and noticed the power tube grid resistors were 220K, so I replaced them w/5.6Ks, replaced all the tubes, adjusted the bias, spray cleaned all the jacks and sent it on its way...sounding good and apparently healthy. Owner calls back a couple of days later....says the amp sounds great, better than before, but still has an issue he forgot to tell me about (thinking it would be solved w/new tubes)...very intermittently, while playing, the volume jumps up pretty dramatically, louder than it should be, based on the volume control settings, and then after a couple of minutes drops back down. I had him insert/remove/reinsert a guitar cable plug in the input, effects loop and speaker jacks 20 times each jack, but he says the problem persists....Anyone heard of this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by acorkos; 03-25-2014, 01:43 AM.

Bad pot, bad ground connection on the pot?

Comment

My thoughts too. Possibly a cracked joint on the ground side of a pot.

Incidentally, I always re-solder the bias boards on these. They're really bad for cracking the joints on the trimpot pins and losing bias. Amongst many other things......

Comment

Working...
      X