Carvin R1000 Rear Panel PCB Jacks (nuts) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin R1000 Rear Panel PCB Jacks (nuts) problem

I'm trying to remove the rear jack pcb on this R1000, but the jack's nuts won't come off. They will get about 1/4 turn and won't go further. If you observe the 1st pic, you'll see the barrel is flatted to 2 sides. Do I need a special tool do remove the nuts? If so, where can I find one?

I called Carvin, but their repair tech is stuck at home today and may be back Monday due to the fires out the in San Diego. Just thought I'd ask here if someone knows.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Click image for larger version

Name:	R1000-RJackPnl-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	868498

Click image for larger version

Name:	R1000-RJackPnl-2.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	868499

If the nuts are similar to ones I've seen before (cannot remember the amp) they turn 1/4 turn & then you 'pull' them off.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 05-17-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Are they some kind of twist lock? If so, try twist 1/4 turn and pull.
      Otherwise I think someone has put glue in the threads to keep them from coming loose.

Edit: sumulpost with JPB
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

AH! I'd tried to pull the nut straight off with no luck. BUT, pulling it off at a downward angle worked!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Oh God, I hate those Carvin jacks!

Comment

Those plastic nuts and body were probably stripped, perhaps overtightened by somebody, and then the nut thread start would not catch the body one.
            Ans bending them a little helped.
            Once you put the "derailed locomotive" back on its "tracks" it runs again.
            Or something like that.

Unless you prefer the "xxx brand sucks, no matter what, because I say so" explanation

Maybe those were 100V nuts, not meant to work in 120V USA
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here's a pic of the jack pcb removed. The jacks are Rean. Although they aren't in their current online catalog, I presume they could be called 'twist-lock' or 'threadless' jacks. Just a guess. Great idea, too. Click image for larger version

Name:	R1000-Jack_pcb.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	833369

Comment

I'd call it a variant of a bayonette mount, like a BNC plug.

Someone used them on mixers, SOundcraft/Spirit maybe?
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    Those plastic nuts and body were probably stripped, perhaps overtightened by somebody, and then the nut thread start would not catch the body one.
                    Ans bending them a little helped.
                    Once you put the "derailed locomotive" back on its "tracks" it runs again.
                    Or something like that.

Unless you prefer the "xxx brand sucks, no matter what, because I say so" explanation

Maybe those were 100V nuts, not meant to work in 120V USA
                    I hate the jacks, because the metal parts are press fitted, and the continuity fails.
                    Pretty UN-reliable. They don't last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

Very likely, since they are British too (Rean). 'London' is imprinted on 1 side of the jack. Ha!

Comment

You may use pcbmaking.com to get your job done effectively and affordably. Hope this will help you!
                        PCB circuit board

Comment

Working...
                        X