Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Vox Tube Pathfinder - a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Vox Tube Pathfinder - a few questions.

A little over a year ago I picked up a Thomas Vox amp that was worked on at some point in the 60's by Leo Krebs, who was apparently a pretty good amp tech. The question I have is that it still has the old two prong outlet, and recently when I went to play it, after the tubes warmed up I felt a weak shock or current when I touched the chassis. I have not pulled the chassis since it has happened (or used it), and I was wondering if this could be the effect of something similar to the 'Death Cap' in old Fenders. It's not like a "Blast your socks off" kind of thing, but you can feel it, and I want to get a hold of the issue before anything can be damaged or someone get hurt. It is a great sounding old amp, and well worth it to me to repair. Also, does anyone out there happen to have a schematic for the Thomas made Tube Pathfinder? Thanks for any advice any of you have.

What you describe is probably what you thought, the ground cap is connecting the hot side of the ac line to the chassis. It can be other things, but most likely the ground cap and two wire cord are to blame.

Have the cord replaced with a correctly wired 3-prong cord and that should clear up the problem.

Comment

Awesome, I will start with that then. Doesn't this effectively mean that I can skip a cap for the ground? I've done 3 chord replacements for other things, and I've always gone black to fuse to switch to transformer, Green to Ground and White to Transformer, correct?

Comment

That is the correct routing. Cap is removed from circuit. Green ground should get it's own dedicated screw/connection to chassis, and it's wire should be left longest so it is the last connection torn free in case of cord being pulled out of chassis.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
          X