Bose SP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bose SP1

anybody have any experience with this unit.....Bose informed the customer that they do not service this unit anymore...something about part availability from the manufacturers....anyway, this unit is dead....no power...checked the usual, fuse, switch cord, etc and even checked the power dist board right off the ac input...checks fine....any suggestions kindly welcome......
    Cheers,
    Bernie

Well, you donīt HAVE to repair it either.

If makers themselves consider it disposable or not worth it, why would you assume the compromise?
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I know I do not have to repair it............I guess I just wanted to see if it was something relatively simple....actually, it looks like there is one cap and two diodes bad in the main switching power supply...I guess there could be more things wrong but so far it does not look like it...so I figured it was worth the shot...if I can get it fixed then it was worth the effort and if not....then I guess I still learned something .....

Comment

Hey J.M. Got the parts in a few days ago. Just got a chance to install them today....I have the unit powering up....I had originally connected a 100w light blub in place of the fuse.....but I guess this unit must draw enough current while idling to make the blub glow bright......so I went and picked up a 300 watt blub.....now when I turn the unit on, the blub glows dim for a second or two then goes completely out...and it does not glow at all after that....even after being on for 5 or 10 minutes........so I guess it is time to hook up a dummy load to one of the amps as this unit has three of them.....I'll keep you posted...by the way, when I went up to the hardware store to get the blub the lady who served me asked...."Are you growing weed?""......I laughed......so I explained to her what I was going.....she is in her 60's for sure....
        Cheers

Comment

Just checked it out....Hooked up a woofer to each power amp in turn and checked all the channels....works good. capacitor C652 was bad.....and D605 and D601 were shorted...these were the only components that i could find that were bad.....so now the re-assembly takes place.....once I get so much of it back together I'll check it again....then if it is ok, which I see no reason why it would not be, I'll finish the re-assembly......
          Cheers..
          p.S. there are four fans in this unit....so I take it that the only time they run is when the unit gets hot....when it is powered up there is no fan movement.....like on some equipment...
          Last edited by bsco; 07-21-2014, 05:37 PM. Reason: info

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
            the lady who served me asked...."Are you growing weed?""......I laughed......so I explained to her what I was going.....she is in her 60's for sure....
            Cheers
            I used to use big syringes full of contact cement to re-glue loose carpet on rental speaker cabs. Works great but may stain.
            Anyway, we were in a bad area, really had to explain a lot to get the pharmacist to sell some "biggest syringe you got"
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I got the unit all back together and set up here in my living room....This comes with two towers...they checked out good and I also used the power amp output jacks in the back as well....so everything seems to be working...so it is finally finished and boy am I glad......now to sit back and enjoy a cold brew.......

Comment

Was the carpet black? I have used carpenter's glue and mixed it with a black acrylic paint....(that was an idea I got from here about speaker reconing)...those syringes are great...Just wash them out with hot water, dry them off and they are good to go for the next time...and I can see the pharmacist having a problem...it isn't every day that he gets that request...funny though...

Comment

Working...
                X