Music Man 6L6 or EL34 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Man 6L6 or EL34 ?

Anyone ever use 6L6's in a music man 2275-130 which originally has 6CA7's?

Even though it runs the screens at half the plate voltage I'm a little hesitant to put modern EL34's in an amp with 700 volts on the plates.

Are the output transformers different in the different versions?

You might consider permanently wiring it to half power mode (half power switch that uses a different x-former winding). If not, it'll be a tube eater with modern tubes of most any type.
    Last edited by The Dude; 07-31-2014, 01:56 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You can try E34L's from JJ/TESLA. I read on many places that they were the a good substitute for 6CA7's on musicmans. Running the amp on low power mode will reduce the overall voltaje of the amp
      including the heaters which "could" reduce tube life.
      Hearing Is Believing

Comment

'Running the amp on low power mode will reduce the overall voltaje of the amp including the heaters which "could" reduce tube life'

From http://schems.com/manu/musicman/musi...&_2275-130.pdf it looks like the version with a tube phase splitter uses a switched primary (thereby reducing all secondary voltages), whereas the version with op-amp phase splitter uses a switched B+ winding, which would leave the heater supply pretty much unaffected.
        Unfortunately there's no indication with either version what the 'Lo' voltages are; does anyone have that info?
        Pete
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I'm pretty sure the engineers would have used a compromise for safe heater voltages in the switched primary models.
          With the increase in modern line voltage, I would be more concerned with heater voltages being too high on the high power setting.
          I think with current line voltage, the lo setting will have heaters closer to 6.3V than the high setting will.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X