Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 3...14...4...2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 3...14...4...2

Figured I would post this...Had this board to repair...When it was first powered up, there was distortion from all 4 sub-groups and both L and R outs...then, after a minute or so, if you cranked the faders up to almost max, the sound would cut in...I suspected bad connections probably in one of the ribbon cable connectors so I cleaned all of them with Deoxit......no difference...tried tapping the sub and main out board modules and no go...but if you turned the faders up nice and high the sound would clear up...weird...

.these boards are full on SMD components.. removed the back panel to gain access to the jack board to see if there were any bad connections in there...When I saw the power supply I could look into the vents and there was a cap that was swollen...removed the power supply and found two caps swollen...when checked there was no capacitance....they were 470uf/50V I installed 63V ones...there was also a 1uf cap bad as well so I replaced that..

I checked the rest of the caps there and they were good....the bad caps were C17, C18 and C28...that cured the distortion problem.....hopefully, this helps somebody out in the future......
    Cheers.....

Just to add. It's a good idea to use 105 degree caps (not 85) and tip them away from any source of heat.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

actually I did use 105 degree caps....that is something I always try to do...but thanks for the tip...I just went downstairs and checked it again....works great....so I'll finish re-assembly tomorrow morning....
      Cheers....
      Last edited by bsco; 07-31-2014, 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Checked the board out once more....worked great So I finished the re-assembly and sent in on it's merry way.....yahoo!!

Comment

Allen & Heath discontinued products Discontinued Products - Allen & Heath
          Click on the product name, then click the "documents" tab, next to the "overview" tab
          Lets choose WZ14:4:2 as the example
          WZ14-4-2 - Allen & Heath

scroll down to schematics & lots of other info.

Found this by accident a while ago, i think it is great that put the service schematics for discontinued equipment online.

Comment

Working...
          X