Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom!

1974 Twin reverb. Ouch.

What's worse is the "tech" that replaced the power tubes never checked the caps. There is some black ooze coming out of the transformer, my guess is it got a little hot.
    Attached Files
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Ah, say this might have something to do with the problem...
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

LOL! I've seen some ugly caps but never one that blew like this. I'm sure you have but this is a first for me. I thought a mouse somehow got inside the cover (not possible even though the darned things can get into some tight places) when I opened it up.

It looks like the one my son hooked up backwards in electronics class in high school.
      --Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
        What's worse is the "tech" that replaced the power tubes never checked the caps. There is some black ooze coming out of the transformer, my guess is it got a little hot.
        Sometimes the customer doesn't want to change out the old caps, 1 because they don't believe some needed preventive maintenance is a good idea, 2 too cheap to take good advice or worried they're going to get hosed on the bill, or 3 want to preserve the original factory parts to maintain the collector item value.

Fender transformers often look gloppy, that's not a problem. How do it smell? If it has that awful burnt transformer odor, and warms up ominously even when the amp's in standby, it's roasted.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'm not going to fire it up (no pun intended) until I change those caps but it doesn't smell burnt. I know that smell and this doesn't have it.
          --Jim

Comment

You're all familiar with Light Emitting Diodes - LEDs for short.

There are also Darkness Emitting Diodes - DEDs for short.

It appears that there are also Darkness Emitting Technicians.
            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
              it doesn't smell burnt. I know that smell and this doesn't have it.
              An excellent plan: replace hi voltage caps and while you're at it why not the bias filter(s).

R.G. Yes it seems there are some Darkness Emitting Technicians. Can't say I've met 'em personally but I've sure seen their work. And I know I've encountered time-vortex people AND gear. Where nothing goes right no matter how much time you put into it. Had a few close encounters with both.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

definitely keep the cardboard shards and ancient internals so it can be "put 100% stock" if a collector buys it...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  An excellent plan: replace hi voltage caps and while you're at it why not the bias filter(s).
                  Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I showed the owner last night and he was shocked. Someone, at some point had to have heard the "bang" unless they were playing it balls-out it when it happened.
                  --Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X