Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement transistors for Marshall 5210?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement transistors for Marshall 5210?

Can i replace the transistors in a Marshall 5210 with these? http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MJ11012-D.PDF
    The originals are MJ3001 and MJ2501.
    Schematic: http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/5210-iss3.gif

They should work just fine.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

**EDIT: Tubis The MJ11012 is only 60 volt rated .... the MJ11015/6 are 120v. The MJ3001 was 80v . (both C-E & C- B ).

Just thought I would mention this site which I have yet to remember to use ! alltransistors.com

All Transistors Datasheet. Parameters and Characteristics. Transistor Database.

I searched for MJ3001
        and this was the result
        MJ3001 Datasheet & Equivalent - MJ3001 Transistor DataSheet PDF. Parameters and Characteristics. Electronic Component Catalog

Likewise for MJ2501
        MJ2501 Datasheet & Equivalent - MJ2501 Transistor DataSheet PDF. Parameters and Characteristics. Electronic Component Catalog

Then under the list of the basic parameters is a link highlighted in orange lettering
        MJ2501 Equivalent Transistors - Cross-Reference Search

In Aust it does seem much quicker - bringing up the specs and data sheets than via google and the various sites hosting
        data sheets!
        Last edited by oc disorder; 08-06-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

If you can get those metallic TO3 transistors and for an acceptable price, fine.

Personally, and being in Argentina, meaning I would need to order them from USA, slow and expensive, I'd just replace them with TIP142/147 and call it a day

1 buck a piece, I have a ton within arm's reach, what's not to like about that?

Of course, I'll need to bend base and emitter legs down to fit original PCB holes, and collector leg up, towards the mounting hole, so the mounting screw head makes contact with it.

Since it's slightly short, I'll need to extend it a bit either with an eyelet or simply a tinned wire ring, no big deal.

Many forget that TO 218 or TO 247 are just the rectangular version of the old rounded "Plastic TO3" which was specifically designed to replace metallics in the same PCB or heatsinks.

I do that all the time, when repairing old SS amps for which original (or directly equivalent) transistors are obsolete meaning unavailable or crazy expensive.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Newark shows both MJ2501 and MJ3001 in stock for around $3.00 apiece.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
              **EDIT: Tubis The MJ11012 is only 60 volt rated .... the MJ11015/6 are 120v. The MJ3001 was 80v . (both C-E & C- B ).
              I had the higher voltage rated ones in mind. I found these near by here in Sweden.

Comment

Working...
              X