Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman 6160 combo amp bright switch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman 6160 combo amp bright switch problem

I've been working on the above amp and have it working and sounding great except for the bright switch. When I switch it I get a high frequency squeal along with some added high end. gretsch6160preamp.pdf Any help in trouble shooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by davohilts View Post
    I've been working on the above amp and have it working and sounding great except for the bright switch. When I switch it I get a high frequency squeal along with some added high end. [ATTACH]30113[/ATTACH] Any help in trouble shooting this would be greatly appreciated.
    Have you checked the cap that's strapped across the 6.8k that goes to pin3 on V4?? Possible that it could be turning it into an oscillator circuit...

Also, not sure if you have the PSU section for that, but here's a pdf that incorporates both in a single file if you'd like.
    Gretsch_6160 (1641, 15CR) Chet Atkins.pdf
    Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

thanks for the tip Audiotexan! I will check that out. The amp is a real bear to work on with the caps buried down under a bunch of resistors. thanks also for the combined schematics. i've got separate schematics and both mine and yours are missing values on some of the caps going to pin 6 of V1 and V2 plus the cap across the 6k8 resistor from the bright switch on V4 pin3.

Comment

Working...
      X