how to remove a tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove a tube

I have taken the shield off the tube......now what?
    The Valve seems extremely tight in the socket to just pull it out. I'm actually afraid that I might squeeze the tube hard enough to shatter it in my hand. Is there something I'm missing?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick

It's really a process of walking it out slowly with a circular motion.

I use an old tube sock (clean) to keep my skin oils off the glass (minor thing) and help me worry less about broken glass.

Get just enough of a grip that you can rock the tube in its socket - no need to crush it - and do a kind of circular rocking motion while pulling out.

Note the position of the missing 10th pin (for a preamp tube) or the key on the plastic peg (octals) - you'll need to duplicate that orientation to get the sucker back in the socket.

Hope this helps!

Comment

A TUBE sock?

You didn't say that...
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I do the same as Don but something I just thought of--maybe wrap a piece of thin rubber--thin enough to fit in the space between the tube and shield base to give better grip and just the same (gently circular upwards motion, little by little being careful not to push the glass against the metal shield). Or one of those little woven cloths for cleaning glasses, etc. Basically anything that helps you get a better grip.

A TUBE sock?

You didn't say that...
        Maybe it's "performance wear"?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          A TUBE sock?

You didn't say that...
          Urgh. I did, but didn't notice until you pointed it out

Comment

Would that be a valve sock on the other side of the pond?

mike

Comment

Originally posted by mashaffer View Post
              Would that be a valve sock on the other side of the pond?
              mike
              A Valve Stocking, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
                It's really a process of walking it out slowly with a circular motion.

I use an old tube sock (clean) to keep my skin oils off the glass (minor thing) and help me worry less about broken glass.

Get just enough of a grip that you can rock the tube in its socket - no need to crush it - and do a kind of circular rocking motion while pulling out.

Note the position of the missing 10th pin (for a preamp tube) or the key on the plastic peg (octals) - you'll need to duplicate that orientation to get the sucker back in the socket.

Hope this helps!

"just get a grip?."

Comment

Originally posted by dpanita View Post
                  I have taken the shield off the tube......now what?
                  The Valve seems extremely tight in the socket to just pull it out. I'm actually afraid that I might squeeze the tube hard enough to shatter it in my hand. Is there something I'm missing?
                  Thanks in advance,
                  Nick
                  I would just grab it using a cloth (just in case) and gently wiggle it back and forth while pulling it out, it should eventually just come out

Comment

Working...
                  X