Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f1: Transformer swap. Questions on voltages

Hi Everyone,

Background: Weber kit build, incorrectly spec'ed PT 375-0-375, plate voltages were 430+ which caused it to be biased very hot. I played around with the bias resistor and found that ~870ohm 5w did the trick.

Fast forward 2 years... So, here we are. I often though of getting the correct PT for my 5f1 and finally did the swap this past weekend. I have a Heyboer 330-0-330 in there now with better plate voltage readings. However, I've got some questions on bias. Here are my readings:

-=V2=-
    P3 = 377v
    P8 = 22v

With the 'stock' 470ohm resistor I get 46mA of plate current (22/470). This is a bit hot -- gives 16.52watt plate dissipation. Side note, ran these figures through the weber bias calculator and it gave 8 watts... Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The first question is, is my bias calculation correct?

Next: I had a NOS brimar 6v6g in while I was doing the work and ended up killing it for some reason. After the PT swap, it gave up the ghost while I was playing -- just a gradual loss of volume, then nothing. I didn't do anymore testing, just swapped in a Tesla/JJ 6v6 and kept going. This also gave some strange noises while I attribute to rattle (almost every 8 note sounded terrible). Then, put a crappy Chinese 6v6 -- all is good. One note: while I was doing the PT swap I didn't have things properly grounded after the work was complete. Is it possible that the tube was ruined this way?

Your power dissipation calculation is correct based on the readings you provided. The 8 W value from the Weber bias calculator reading is wrong. However, since it is half the expected value maybe it is assuming you are measuring a 2 tube push pull output stage and it is reporting the assumed dissipation for each tube. Check the instructions.

The next thing I'd recommend is to verify that the 470 resistor value is correct by making a direct reading with you ohm meter. Having said that I'll say that the stock 470 Ohm bias resistor does ofter result in really hot bias. Feel free to use a higher value resistor value as you did with the other PT.
    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 09-21-2014, 05:43 PM. Reason: Additional Weber bias calculatorcomment

Comment

Hi Tom - thanks for your reply. Yeah, that's what I figured over at the weber site. I did verify that the resistor is 470ohm. I swapped in an 820 and that brought things down to 11.2w. The amp sounds better too.

What I don't quite get is this: The PT is rated at 40v lower than the one I took out, and it's resulting in the same bias resistor. For some reason, I thought a 330-0-330 PT would allow better adherence to the 5f1 spec. ...just shows me how much I have to learn with this stuff

Comment

Working...
      X