Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Yes.
    Given what's happened please triple check (double is not enough ) all transistors are correctly oriented, hand draw in a sheet of paper each transistor type (many are repeated) the 1-2-3 and e-b-c labelling so when in doubt you just rise your head and recheck.
    The 1-2-3 leg numbers will make sense if you look at each transistor with its flat side facing you. The US types will be E-B-C=3-2-1, the Japanese types will be E-C-B=3-2-1. Even the outputs (from the back flat side) will be E-C-B=3-2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      The 1-2-3 leg numbers will make sense if you look at each transistor with its flat side facing you. The US types will be E-B-C=3-2-1, the Japanese types will be E-C-B=3-2-1. Even the outputs (from the back flat side) will be E-C-B=3-2-1.
      Sorry to nitpick Bill, but I don't see how that makes sense. Pin out shown on a US type datasheet calls out 123 looking at the face, not 321, so I don't know why they decided to do it backwards to convention.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2N3904_pin_layout_S.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	659.9 KB
ID:	835639
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I am ignoring numbers all together and just going by E,B, and C on the datasheets.

My meter probe slipped and I shorted a 2N3904. I have to order extras becuase I don't have any here. When that arrives I will resume this troubleshoot. Thanks

Comment

Pick up some test leads while you are at it.
          4613-12-2 Pomona Electronics | Mouser

One of THE very first items that I was taught, when inside a unit, is to remove all power from the unit before getting on the component leads under test.

I am sure that some have skipped right by this one as it can be awfully time consuming.

Simply put, it's not a good idea to be poking around inside a live unit.

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
            Sorry to nitpick Bill, but I don't see how that makes sense. Pin out shown on a US type datasheet calls out 123 looking at the face, not 321, so I don't know why they decided to do it backwards to convention.
            Agree with you 100%, but that is the way that they did it. Why would they draw the ac input to the power supply in the middle of the circuit? Why would they draw the feedback line from the output all the way around the circuit instead of straight back as in most schematics?

Maybe the person drawing this has never seen a transistor data sheet or even a real transistor before.

Comment

Working...
            X