No announcement yet.

odd turn off noise - Fender Princeton Chorus - links to Youtube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me repeat that it's normal , so don't go chasing ghosts at the supply or input or wiring.

Op amps go stupid when fed way less than +/-15V , specially if both rails come down at a different rate, but it's not "broken" .

Same as seeing a car wavering right and left at a highway, and finding driver is drunk, stoned or has some cardiac or diabetes problem, don't waste time checking the steering system or loose wheels.

It can be tamed or killed by careful grounding/layout change ... which is not the case, we are repairing, nor redesigning.

That said, that "pfuiiiitttt" oscillation, as well as turn on/off pops and thumps is usually "swept under the rug" (which does not mean "solved" by any means) by some muting system

So go check that mute and if necessary replace or increase the time constant capacitor so it covers that noise.

Often mute circuits have an unsymmetrical RC time constant, by adding a diode, so it turns on slow (leaving plenty of time for amp to stabilize) but turns off fast, before the mouse fart is heard.

I'd check that area.
    First by fixed muting with a piece of wire, so we check that mute can indeed stop it .

If so, we can tweak mute.

Not dissing anybody, just trying to save you some frustration or wasted time.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

No time wasted so far. I haven't opened this one up yet, but since I still use it to test guitars after repairs, it's still here making turn off noise, and I noticed the different levels this time with cord inserted or not.

I'm working through simpler amps first, with bigger issues, as a learning tool.

You'll notice I may have gotten lucky with the simplistic GBE600 repair that several of you guys helped me with, and now I'm on the simpler Fender 15G repair, and starting back into the Crate BX80 issues, beginning with how to hook up the transformer correctly.

Comment

Insert a TRS (stereo) plug in the FX Return jack.
        That should disable the preamp.

If it still makes noise, then you at least know it is in the power amp/ power supply.

Comment

oohhh.. quick and dirty.. i like it.

i just hate that i forgot about that troubleshooting method to eliminate as much as possible so quickly.

Comment

Working...
          X