JCM900-4100 OT connundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM900-4100 OT connundrum

The Z switch works, and everything seems to be wired correctly. No shorts between the secondaries (different voltages on all three). Here's the oddity: With either an 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm load, the power output (and of course voltage swing) are highest on the 8 Ohm tap. ??

There are 2 ways these are wired up, depending whether head or combo.
    The labelling is confusing, and it may have been rewired by someone.
    They are either 4 & 8, or 8 & 16.
    Maybe yours has been wired for 4 & 8 ?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Agree, labelling is confusing, 2 way switch (it should have been a 3 way one selecting 4/8/16) says "8" one way, "4/16" the other, and *usually* has the 16 ohms wire attached, the 4 ohms one unconnected and taped out.

What irks me is that user may have wired the 4 ohms tap instead for his own convenience, which is fine, but nothing visible from the outside shows this.

At least they should have provided 2 small rectangles or circles where user may write an "x" or a "*" with a Sharpie pen to indicate which one is actually wired.

Each one which goes through my shop gets a small sticker stating either 4 or 16 ... some 0.000001% of all JCM900 out there

Oh well.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I had one a while back that was wired wrongly (it was neither 16/8 or 16/4), but this one a correct 16/8 (the 4 Ohm tap goes only to the NFB resistor).

Comment

Are you getting proper power with some combination? Can you try a 4 ohm load anyway (quick test)?
          Post your power output results for both switch settings using 4,8, & 16 ohm loads. The OT should be able to handle the mismatches if you are just doing quick tests.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X