Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking too build a 100watt bass amp what one Fender Peavey ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking too build a 100watt bass amp what one Fender Peavey ?

Hi to you all

I want to build another bass head. Ive already built a JMP100 super bass great amp used every weekend and never let me down. I have most of the stuff i need to build it, knocking around the workshop, and as the stuff aint moved in years, its about time i could put it too good use

While looking at different schematic. I was thinking did Peavey ever do a 100watt bass head. Ive never seen one or got a schematic for one
    Ive been looking closely at the Fender bassman 100. Anybody got one ?

What do the guys who live over the pond think ??

BBB

I assume you mean tube (okay, valve...)

I have heard Peavey's very first amps were Bassman copies. But since then Peavey's made a ton of guitar amps with two or more pair of 6L6's which included some bass stuff, like the Alphabass--up to the 400 watt all-tube Classic 400. They've also made some newer tube bass heads with SMPS such as the VB-3. Or the VB-2 for the heavier version.

Comment

Were the alpha bass heads any good. never seen one over here in the UK

Comment

They're relatively rare but supposedly they were very good.
        Attached Files

Comment

If you already built a Marshall Bass amp, the next logical step is make a classic Ampeg.

Not the most complex ones, with triple triode compactrons or dual triode/pentode preamps or multi tap inductor midrange controls, just the simplest preamp coupled to any classic 100W power stage, a Fender or Marshall one will do fine.

Thus you will have a relatively easy to build amp (only slightly more complex than the Marshall) with 95% of the classic Ampeg sound.

Here's the very classic B15N , used in millions of recordings, literally.

You can build just one preamp and drive any classic 100W tube stage with it.

The original used very cool 6SL7 octal tubes, but if unavailable or expensive or too hard to find, you can use a 12AX7 .

Cork sniffers sometimes complain "they are not the same" ... pity they don't read what RCA (the inventors of 12AX7) stated in 1947:
          12AX7 (also known as ECC83) is a miniature dual triode vacuum tube with high voltage gain. It was developed around 1946 by RCA engineers[1] in Camden, New Jersey, under developmental number A-4522. It was released for public sale under the 12AX7 identifier on September 15, 1947. The 12AX7 was originally intended as replacement for the 6SL7 family of dual-triode amplifier tubes for audio applications. It is popular with tube amplifier enthusiasts, and its ongoing use in such equipment makes it one of the few small-signal vacuum tubes in continuous production since it was introduced.
          I have built exactly that, countless times, with great success.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks chaps Ive been busy today getting the Iron work on the chassis and fuse holders/ Bases Etc.. Not looking too bad, using up all the used stuff

BBB

Comment

Working...
            X