• Show
Clear All

• Pointy EL34's ?

Hey, any idea the make of these El34's?

Old looking, the only markings on them are:
    6A8
    5B9
    Attached Files

Can you post a top shot, looking straight down at the point? Are they marked "EL34" anywhere, too? What'd they come out of?

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

EI's were pointy like that:
      https://www.google.ca/search?q=ei+el...=494&gws_rd=cr
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Like I said, no markings but they look like those EI's.

When were those made?

Comment

Not sure when they were made as they could have been sitting around for some amount of time. I seem to recall seeing them in late '80s or early '90s. Not sure if they were showing up in new Marshall's or if they were something we were using as replacements.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

IIRC they were made in Yugoslavia. I call them nipple tops. (oYo)
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I was wondering if they might have originally been those Magnoval-based things, whatever the European one was - it was different pin size from the American counterpar. Maybe they got rebased at the factory to be octal? Some of the Google pics seem to support that.

The only EI tubes I own or saw in person are the 2 6C10s that I got for my Jet, from my local mom&pop music store about 10 years ago... They were a Fender dealer forever til they closed and had had them on hand for who knows how long, just in case someone needed tubes for their Super Champ, which they sold new at the time. No nipple, just big round boobies (regular old Compactrons). Go figure. Apparently I got the last 2 in the whole world...

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter as long as you like the sound and they don't blow up, but I enjoy tracking these things down. No need to fight, and fun had by those who participate, and you might actually learnn something... Got any more wierd tubes?

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Just curious, they were in a customers '75 Marshall Superlead, and on the way out unfortunately as they sounded pretty good.

The amp is a sorry looking well worn beat to hell beast.
                Serviced several times in England over the years according to the service stickers all over it.
                It had both tranny's replaced rather poorly with holes drilled instead of a proper cutting tool to make room for the wrong transformers.
                Likewise the holes for the Z switch and AC jack.
                Pots replaced, board hacked, ppimv installed, four holes drilled in the back for some long forgotten mod, socket or two teplaced-'you get the idea....i could go on.

Sounds pretty good though!

Comment

Working...
                X