No announcement yet.

71 Super Reverb Slow To Engage Vibrato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although my troubleshooting skills were limited, I do believe, for whatever reason, the centre cap that I replaced last, was the fix here. It certainly was the last part I changed out before I got the results I wanted. I should have changed all three when I was initially in there and changed the other two caps. I did test the amp after I made any part changes, or just repaired some connections. Only the last cap change made a difference. All 3 caps were tested for capacitance with my DMM and were within the 10% rating. However maybe all combined, the problem compounded. I don't think there was a cold solder problem that I happened to repair when I changed the last cap. The amp was dead quiet and there was no cracking or popping that I have experienced in other amps with cold joints. Only a theory here, it is possible.

I left the amp over night. This morning I clicked on the foot switch before I turned on the amp. As soon as the amp started producing sound the vibrato was on, and working perfectly. Under the same circumstances, previously it took up to a minute to start pulsing. So this confirms that when working properly, there is no audible ramp up time for the vibrato to kick in on this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by keithb7 View Post
      All 3 caps were tested for capacitance with my DMM and were within the 10% rating.
      Unfortunately testing caps on a DMM will not always find a bad cap. The DMM will never come close to simulating the in circuit conditions of a cap in a tube amp.

Comment

True. But I'll bet there's nothing wrong with them that can be tested for with average, if not standard measurement tools found on a typical amp repair bench So this still leaves it in guru-land.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          I'd be curious to know the measured values of the three caps? Justin
          Justin I just measured the 3 caps here they are:
          Spec .02 10%. Actual .02348
          Spec .01 10%. Actual .00979
          Spec .01 10%. Actual .00986

Regards.

Comment

Working...
          X