Question about phase shift oscilator/tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about phase shift oscilator/tremolo

I have a home brewed amp with a bias modulating tremolo, the oscillator is the Fender take on a phase shift oscillator. When I engage the tremolo there's a popping sound. It's not LOAD, more kind of evident. Is this a normal thing in these tremolo circuits and if so, is there a quick fix?

Thanks!
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Fender probably has probably used a dozen slightly different oscillator circuits. AFAIK none should pop audibly when engaged or disengaged. That doesn't mean they don't, but I don't recall a truly objectionable one. If you have grounds daisy chained that may cause it. Or if you have the switch implemented differently than I'm familiar with. Can you post a schem?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

There is a popping sound as in it pops when you stomp the switch? Or there is a popping sound as in it goes pop-pop-pop-pop... along with the trem pulses?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Many Fender oscillators employ some kind of kick starter. This usually takes the form of some DC applied to the footswitch so that when you hit the switch, the oscillator starts immediately. Depending on the exact circuit, the kick start pulse might feed through to the output of the oscillator. From that point, an imbalance in the output tubes or the phase inverter might allow the pulse to cause a pop at the speaker. The devil is in the details so please post a schematic.

Afterthought: A Concertina PI might act oddly with a bias wiggle tremolo.
        Last edited by loudthud; 03-08-2015, 01:26 AM.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
        X