Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Ampeg reverberocket tremolo problem

Hi All,

I have a R-12-rB reveberocket on my bench, and when the tremolo is used the speaker moves back in forth so much it makes a banging noise.
    I've checked out the osc. circuit with a scope which seems to be fine. I've never had many problems with tremolos in the first place and most have been with Fender type circuits. It seems odd that no bulb and light resistor are used. The amps sounds normal until you use the tremolo effect.
    I've done a bit of troubleshooting but have found no suspects, anybody got any idea's
    Attached Files

The LFO circuit is running at about 3 to 10 Hz.
    And it has to go through a 270K resistor & then the 1K grid resistor before the output tube grid responds.

So first check that the amp is biased well.

It's also possible that the amp was 'modded' or miswired.

Check to see that the coupling caps (C28 & 29) are not leaking Vdc.

Comment

Also try another speaker.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hello Jazz P Bass,

The amp was modded some time ago to use 6L6's instead of 7591's, but the customer says the tremolo worked fine after that.
        C 28 and 29 are new orange drop caps. Most of the caps are new in this amp. I will check the bias, but the amp sounds fine until you use the tremolo.

Thanks Dehn

Comment

Hi g1,

I did that, no difference

Thanks
          Dehn

Comment

It's interesting that the 6L6's should be less sensitive to the trem shift than the 7591's. So what's causing this? As mentioned, check the bias, check the cathode circuit resistance, cap, etc. Check to see that C13 isn't leaking and causing a strange bias condition. I would even try paralleling C2 with another cap to see if that helped. Basically, the trem is causing a voltage modulation at the power tube grid that is being translated to the plate. That's what it does. Right now it's doing too much of it and a lot of the amps wattage is being expended in the low Hz range of the trem. Ideally this will be a smooth change in DC voltage that is relevant to it's relationship with the cathode voltage. So this, I think is where to look. The trem voltage and it's bias relationship and the AC decoupling for that power supply.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X