Randall RD50 Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RD50 Bias

I have one of these I'm looking at and I'm wondering about the bias on this thing.
    I know I post from time to time about bias on cathode biased amps; I think there's
    something I'm missing. I always see these amps that have tubes biased what seems
    to be way too hot.

After a few minutes of running there is red plating on this particular amp.

This particular amp has the following voltages:

2x EL34

A- 430 (K to A)

S- 417 (K to S)

G- -30 (K to G)

K- 30.9

Each tube has it's own 330R cathode resistor. Each tube is pulling 85ma!

There is nothing that has been changed in the circuitry around these tubes and all resistors fall in tolerance.

RD50 Sch0514.pdf

What is it with these companies setting these amps up this way?

Not sure what to say except that I agree with you. If the red plating is on both tubes then I vote to cool it off a bit. If it's only one tube then swap them and see if the problem is with the tube or the socket. If it's the tube then you can TRY a new pair of tubes. IME the Ruby EL34b seems happy with a few less bias volts than some other current production tubes. If the problem is with the socket check the cathode caps. Probably not the case since you seem to have an accurate grid to cathode reading.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Chuck!

Both of the tubes were red plating. I went ahead and bumped up the K resistors to 500. The tubes are idling about 80% now.

I just can't believe that these companies send these products out setup like this.

Comment

Working...
      X