Roland AC-33 low output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland AC-33 low output

Supposedly 10 - 15W to each speaker, at most I can push maybe 5w to each.

It looks like the MAX9744 flat pack 40 some pin class D amp is bad. Nice clean sine wave going into it power amp from the headphone board.
    Output to the speakers looks like only the top of each sine wave is coming out.

Anyone work on these yet or have the same problem?

Dang, the MAX9744 power amp is only around five bucks, but it has 44 pins, 11 per side in a .2" space.

it's between the silver surface mount caps in this fuzzy photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000374.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	837430

Comment

Dayam! I saw a tutorial on soldering such things once. Made it look easy. I'm still intimidated by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlSY1uaw0GA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sfggumc-Tc
      Last edited by Chuck H; 04-25-2015, 12:53 AM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I tried that first method once, and promptly tore up a couple traces. I know it can be done well, but I screwed it up. Not happy

The second one works as well as it seems, assuming you do it well.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

We've discussed this elsewhere, but Chip Quik is the easiest way to get them off. The lead version if you can get it - much better characteristics.

I find that SMD rework flux + very fine tin/lead/silver solder is the answer to re-soldering. Much cleaner job and no solder bridges.

Comment

I have the equipment for micro stuff like this at work.
            Getting the old chip off is easy, resoldering the new one is definitely going to be hairy, even with a microscope.
            At least this one is easy to get to.

Some of the boards on the Tubemeister 36 in this week look like they are impossible to get to and service.
            They probably toss it and replace the board.

Comment

We used to use a solder paste, solder dust/flux, and screen print it only were needed. Then lay the part onto the pasted landings and heat with vapor until it melted. I guess you could use a heat gun too depending on the parts tolerances.
              Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Well like I said getting the old chip off was easy, installing the new one a royal pain.
                It's the type of chip with no protruding leads, so you need to use a ton of flux, spend a while lining it up under a microscope, then you just run the iron tip along the pads while feeding small amounts of solder.
                Then you clean, check under the microscope for pads that didn't get soldered, and repeat this process over and over until all leads are soldered.
                A half hour later, all leads soldered making good contact.

Aaaannnndddd....the problem is still there.

Need to read up on class D amps to see why.
                Must be something in the output wave shaping components.
                About a dozen little surface mount caps that take the output and convert it to a clean some wave.

Comment

Working...
                X