Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egnater Tweaker 40-Really bad ground pops on many swithces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater Tweaker 40-Really bad ground pops on many swithces.

Just got an Egnater tweaker 40 in for repair. Looks really new. It has God-awful static pops when switching the standby toggle as well as when switching most of the mini-toggles on the control panel. I mean real loud static pops, like a ground is bad....but no hum. There is a real load under the hood and I would like to have a starting point. Anyone else have this issue with this amp...or others?
    The amp seems to function fine except for this issue. The owner says it would start making noises that were resolved by moving the standby switch back and forth. I might suspect the switch?
    Thanks in advance!

jumper across the switch/bypass it with clip leads and see if that solves the problem.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks... will give it a try in a little bit. Will that determine if the switch is bad?

Comment

A working switch should act the same as a piece of wire if it's working correctly. If jumpering across the switch solves the problem, then yes the switch is bad.

BE AWARE!: There is extremely high voltage on this switch. Be careful not to touch contacts or wires and/or discharge caps before working on the amp!
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes, I understand the warning!

Comment

Problem solved....replaced the cheap-arse Chinese Ruby 12AX7's with some JJ's....all is good!
            Reminded me of the first rule of tube amps...check the tubes first! Don't over think it!

Comment

Working...
            X